30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Saturday Night Five: The Five Minute Post Experiment

Today I'm going to experiment with my writing and attempt to complete this post in five minutes or less.  The five minutes does not include the scanning, uploading, and arrangement of images, but it will include the research, editing, and revising that takes place during the normal publishing process.

Ultimately my goal is to publish a complete post, so I won't be setting a five minute timer.  Instead, I'll be timing myself while keeping the five minutes in the back of my mind.  So without further ado, let the challenge begin:

Two weeks ago, I received a care package from Julie over at A Cracked Bat: Baseball Cards and a Hot Dog.  She's one of the many bloggers I exchange care packages with on an annual basis.


She sent me a bunch of Oakland Athletics and Japanese baseball players inserts, oddballs, and parallels.  In the spirit of my Saturday Night Five series, I've decided to show off five cards that really stood out from the stacks:

#11994 Fleer Extra Bases #150


I realize there are a lot of collectors who don't like these Tall Boys, because they aren't your traditional standard card size.  But I absolutely love themJulie sent me almost the entire A's team set:


I will definitely be looking for the final three cards for my team set on COMC or Sportlots.


#21989 Topps Bazooka Shining Star #5


Although I was already a junior in high school when this card came out, this card immediately took me back to my youth.  If I remember correctly, these were inserted into boxes of Bazooka bubble gum.


#32013 Topps Emerald Foil #85


Green parallels of Oakland Athletics rule.  This is a beautiful card.  



#42004 Donruss Leather and Lumber Materials #72


Memorabilia cards may have outstayed their welcome in many collectors' hearts.  If you're one of those collectors... feel free to send me them anytime you want.  I promise to appreciate and provide them a loving home.


#52013 Topps Opening Day Mascots #M6


If there's one low-end insert set that I'd like to see stick around forever... it's the Opening Day Mascot set.  My only complaint is that Stomper isn't always included.

Here are a few other cards that Julie sent me that I just have to share:


You know I love me some Fleer team logo stickers.  I'm also a fan of the small crop of young players that hopefully be around when the Oakland A's finally get their new stadium one day.

One of those guys is Matt Olson.  Here's a card of him serial numbered to 100:

2018 Topps Big League Rainbow Foil #19




Thank you so much Julie for this awesome care package!  By the way... I'm currently way over the five minute mark.  But that's okay.  I'm going to keep practicing.  And one day I hope to have it mastered like Daniel over at It's like having my own Card Shop.  He's the blogger who came up with the five minute post idea.

Well that's it for today.  I'm gonna go ahead and hit the "lap" button, then start the editing and revising portion of this post.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!


Extra Innings


Research and Writing25 Minutes
Editing and Revising12 Minutes

Overtime

9/20/1935 - 11/13/2018

My parents are the reason I became a Green Bay Packers fanJim Taylor's NFL career started right around the same time my parents started attending games at Milwaukee County Stadium back in the late 50's.  I haven't spoken to my father today, but I'm sure if he's heard the news of Taylor's passing... he said a prayer for his family and friendsRest in peace, Mr. Taylor.

12 comments:

Chris said...

I can't possibly write a post in five minutes or less (except maybe this one) but I admire your attempt. That Doolittle card is awesome. I've had my eye on emerald parallel A's but haven't managed to get one yet. Also, this is the first I'm hearing about Jim Taylor's passing. R.I.P to a Packer legend. :(

Jeremya1um said...

Love those ‘07 Topps cards. They were some of the hottest cards in the set back in the day (maybe not the Iwamura).

sg488 said...

I love those tall boys,i'm headed to e-bay to find some.

Daniel Wilson said...

I'm impressed that you got all that written in 37 minutes! All I get in 5 minutes is a couple of sentences and some pictures.

GCA said...

Let me know what you need in the Extra Bases. I have a bunch of dupes!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Wow, I can’t believe you were still able to knock it out in 30 some minutes. You have the gift of the quill!

Billy Kingsley said...

Five minutes? I think I can only do that with the rare visual puns. Even my short post on Justin Holiday took about 10 minutes.

Matt said...

Five Mintue post would have to be a random card one for me

Peter K Steinberg said...

Great post and I'm glad you didn't limit it to a strict five minutes. Julie's generous card packet definitely warrants your very thoughtful time!

Baltmoss68 said...

Nice batch of cards. I like those Topps Emeralds.
I remember writing workshops where we had very limited time to write multi paragraphs ... not easy!
Love those old Packer legends. It’s good that Mr Taylor got to see one last deserving teammate join him in the HOF in Jerry Kramer. RIP Jim Taylor.

CaptKirk42 said...

Yeah, I"m part of the "Could NEVER write a post in less than 5 minutes. At least not one that could be published. Some of mine probably look like they took only five minutes, maybe the text part I can do in 5 minutes, and maybe a few I have, but the bulk of the posts; editing, scanning, cropping and cleaning up the scans, takes a while. I don't know if I'll attempt this blogiverse task/assignment (semi Blog-Bat-Around) as so many have in the last few days.

Fuji said...

Chris - Dang it. Talked to my father today and yesterday and totally forgot to ask him about Taylor. Sad day indeed. I'm not giving up on the five minute challenge. Already figured it's probably going to involve a one card post. Just have to figure out which card to write about.

Jeremya1um - I actually thought about digging up an old Beckett and writing a post on those guys. That Dice K was really popular when I returned to the hobby.

sg488 - Me too. I'm gonna either buy a set... or find some cheap boxes and build it eventually.

Daniel Wilson - Once I start talking shop... I can shut up. I keep typing and typing and typing. Love the idea though. I'm going to try again at some point.

GCA - Thanks for the offer. Here are the ones I'm missing: 145 Mike Bordick, 154 Troy Neel, and 155 Ruben Sierra.

SumoMenkoMan - Lol. It's a shame it was closer to 5 minutes ;)

Billy Kingsley - Practice makes perfect. I've seen a few guys do it. I'm not going to quit until I can do it too.

Sport Card Collectors - I think that's the direction I'm heading.

Peter K Steinberg - You're totally right! It's much more important to give thanks than to do a rush job... even if I did try to rush.

Baltmoss68 - Yeah. All of those great Packers legends are getting up there in age. Not sure if I'm prepared to start watching them get old. It was hard to watch Bart Starr a few years ago back at Lambeau. Made me think of my parents and how they're getting up there in age as well.

CaptKirk42 - I didn't count the time it took to scan and crop the cards. If I did... I'd have to tack on way more time. I'll be happy if I can just write and edit a post in under 5 minutes.