30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Patience Paid Off

My love for the Oakland Athletics dates back to the 70's.  That's 40+ years.  And over the years I've collected thousands of cards featuring guys wearing the Green and Gold.

But a few years ago, I shifted my collecting focus and stopped chasing down autographs and memorabilia cards of players on our current roster.  After watching guys like Josh Donaldson, Yoenis Cespedes, and Sonny Gray get shipped off for prospects, I finally opened my eyes and saw the light.

My hard earned money would be spent on picking up Oakland legends and fan favorites like: Rickey Henderson, Dave Stewart, Joe Rudi, Jose Canseco, Vida Blue, Rollie Fingers, Bert Campaneris, and Reggie Jackson.

Then a few months ago, I decided it was time to add Khris Davis to that list of names.  Okay... maybe he's not a legend, but he's definitely a fan favorite.

The only problem was his signatures are no longer available for four or five bucks.  And I have a hard time spending more than $10 on a guy with a .248 career batting average.

My solution?  Wait until the offseason.  And wouldn't you know it... my strategy paid off.   Last weekend, I won this card off of eBay:

2018 Topps Clearly Authentic #CASA-KD

I ended up spending 50¢ over my budget, but that's something I can live with.  Like all 2018 Clearly Authentic signatures, it came in a magnetic:


Unfortunately the case had a few scratches, so I decided to set Khrush free from his plastic prison.

Hopefully the Athletics and Davis can come to an agreement on a contract extension that will keep him around a little longer.  But with my luck, he'll be in Yankee Pinstripes in 2019.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

6 comments:

P-town Tom said...

I hope Davis is back with the A's next year. It's been amazing seeing him hit that batting average number year after year.

JediJeff said...

Unless it's some insane high prices card, no reason to keep cards of this range in their case if the case is not pristine.

Or even if it is in perfect condition. I picked up a Keith Foulke auto from Archives Signatures, but those magnetic cases don't slide so easily into a 9 pocket page.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Freedom.... great choice!

Baltmoss68 said...

Khris got my fandom with the great way he treated a young fan this past season. He had the boy(who was ill) sign his jersey after he autographed the kids jersey. A special moment that will be long treasured

Collecting Cutch said...

Krush is a great talent and seems like a good dude.

Fuji said...

p-town tom - it's a pretty impressive feat. can't imagine it's ever happened in mlb history.

jedijeff - yeah... if i know it's going to be staying in my collection, i usually take them out of the case. like you said... the only real exception is if it's an expensive card or something truly unique.

sumomenkoman - thanks. no second guessing here.

baltmoss68 - that's really cool. hadn't heard that story.

collecting cutch - hope the a's can sign him for a few more years.