30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, January 22, 2017

It's In the Cards


Back in October, I let my collection predict the outcome of the World Series.  This time around, I figure I'd let this 2015 Panini Rookies and Stars blaster box I picked up at the flea market awhile back do the talking.

However before I begin ripping packs, let's establish the rules and guidelines.

8 points = A "hit" from any of the 4 playoff teams
7 points = An insert, parallel, or starting QB from the 4 playoff teams
3 points = A Pro Bowler from the 4 playoff teams
2x conversion = 2 or more cards from the same team = double the points
1 point = A common base card from the 4 playoff teams

It's pretty simple.  The team who has the most points will go on to win the Super Bowl.  Let get's this pack bustin' party started...

Pack #1:


No points awarded since no teams were represented.  This pack was highlighted by the Stefon Diggs die-cut insert along with his base rookie card.

Atlanta Falcons: 0
Green Bay Packers: 0
New England Patriots: 0
Pittsburgh Steelers: 0


Pack #2:


The Steelers are the first to score with a base card of Bud Dupree.  It was a tough decision, but my favorite card has to be the die-cut ODB insert.  Thank you Mr. Beckham for taking your trip to South Beach and dropping that catch in the end zone.  The two issues may not be related, but neither of these things helped your team either.

Atlanta Falcons: 0
Green Bay Packers: 0
New England Patriots: 0
Pittsburgh Steelers: 1


Pack #3:


Another shutout.  No points awarded.  Although I can't wait to see what Ajayi's future has in store.

Atlanta Falcons0
Green Bay Packers0
New England Patriots0
Pittsburgh Steelers1


Pack #4:


The Patriots score and tie things up.  Only three packs remaining and neither of the NFC teams have a point on the board.  Nothing too special in this pack, although the Carr insert is pretty cool.  One of my students will appreciate that.

Atlanta Falcons0
Green Bay Packers0
New England Patriots1
Pittsburgh Steelers1


Pack #5:


I figured a starting QB or an insert would make the difference and it happened to be a combination of the two.  I should give the Packers a charity point since Matthews makes a guest appearance.

Atlanta Falcons0
Green Bay Packers0
New England Patriots8
Pittsburgh Steelers1

It's going to be tough for any of the three remaining teams to bounce back, but there's only one way to find out.


Pack #6:


Wow.  Don't call it a comeback.  The Steelers earn one point for James, seven points from Coates, but since they came out of the same pack they earn the 2x point conversion.  16 points!

Atlanta Falcons0
Green Bay Packers0
New England Patriots8
Pittsburgh Steelers17

Looks like only a miracle can prevent the Steelers from becoming Super Bowl LI Champions.


Pack #7:


As usual... Mr. Brady didn't go down without a fight.  He added another 7 points to the scoreboard late in the game, but too little too late.

Atlanta Falcons0
Green Bay Packers0
New England Patriots15
Pittsburgh Steelers17

The Lions manufactured patch didn't help anyone, so a huge congratulations goes out to Pittsburgh fans.

The final score was close, but according to the blaster box, the Steelers will go on to win the Super Bowl.  If you weren't sure where to place your money, now you know.

What do you think?  Did the cards get it right?

I'm hoping that their prediction is wrong and Aaron Rodgers and the Packers go on to win their fifth Super Bowl Championship, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Steelers find a way to get the job done again.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

9 comments:

Chris said...

I hope you're right about the Steelers, since the Packers are getting blown out by Atlanta. This was a fun way to pick the SB winner.I was a bit worried after the first couple packs that there wouldn't be enough cards to determine a champion, but it all worked out in the end.

Fuji said...

Yeah it sucks being blow out... but as crazy as this sounds, this game was a lot less stressful than last week's game versus the Cowboys. Steelers are down 17-9, but there's plenty of time left. We'll see if it's truly in the cards.

Dion's IP Autos only said...

The packs really said Patriots in a blow out right! lol

Fuji said...

I guess it wasn't in the cards. ;D

GCA said...

Survey said...BZZZZZT!

Commishbob said...

I'm breaking out my old Steve Bartkowski jersey. Yes, I really have one. I may need to blog that. LOL

Fuji said...

GCA - Lol. Yeah... this blaster sucked in more than one way.

Commish - Nice. I've got a few of his jersey cards, but not an actual jersey.

Hackenbush said...

Too late for me to comment on the outcomes. I'll be pulling for the Falcons if only because I like seeing someone new win. Being a Bears fan, and I know that's nothing to be proud of these days, I hate the Packers so I was glad to see them lose. Sorry Cheeseheads. Speaking of my godawful Bears, the Kevin White card is pretty cool.

Fuji said...

I completely understand you rooting against the Packers. It's part of the rivalry. I'm the same way with the Vikings, Niners, and Cowboys. What's weird is that I will root for the Lions. Part of it is my friend's husband is a fan... but it's also that I feel bad that they've stunk for so long.

If you want the White, email me your address and I'll PWE it to ya.