30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Things Change People Change


Last Tuesday (May 3rd) was National Teacher Appreciation Day and back when I was an elementary school teacher, it kinda felt like Christmas in May.  Students would make awesome thank you cards and parents would give the teachers treats and sometimes gifts.

But things change.  People change.

After ten years of teaching fifth and sixth grade, I made the decision to move up to middle school and it's been one heck of a ride.  I won't say there haven't been a fair share of bumps along the way, but overall this was one of the best professional decisions I've ever made.

Unfortunately... most of my students just don't celebrate National Teacher Appreciation Day anymore.  Maybe it's because most of my 8th graders are too cool to thank their teachers.  Maybe it's because they're more focused on end of the year activities and middle school graduation.  Or maybe... I'm just not as cool as a teacher as when I taught elementary.

Whatever the case... these days I get excited if one of my student remembers National Teacher Appreciation Day and last week I was lucky enough to receive two thoughtful presents from two of my students.

One was a package of Fruit By The Foot.  The other was a Hostess Ding Dong.  Fruit snacks and snack cakes have been personal lunchtime favorites for as long as I could remember.

But things change.  People change.

The Fruit By The Foot sat on my podium for a few days (untouched) until I finally gave it to another student who wanted it more than I did.  The Hostess Ding Dong?  I ripped into it that same day.  Actually... that same period.

Sadly... it didn't taste the same way as I had remembered.  It was less moist and seemed to be a lot more artificial.  Of course... I pretended it was amazing to be nice... but I probably won't be buying any Hostess Ding Dongs in the near future.

On the other hand... the same cannot be said for vintage Hostess baseball cards.  I absolutely love them.  In fact... they're probably my second favorite 70's oddball issue behind the Kellogg's lenticular sets.

Back in October... I added a card that has been atop my wantlist ever since I returned to the hobby back in 2008.  Feast your eyes on this 1979 Hostess card of one of the greatest defensive shortstops to play the game:


Man oh man... I was so stoked to add this card to my collection for less than the price of a blaster.  Obviously the card isn't in the greatest condition.  It's miscut and if you look at the edges... it's as if the guy used a serrated knife to cut this card out.


But the nostalgic aura that this card gives off more than makes up for its flaws (well at least in my mind).  In fact... I've actually grown to love this card more than his true rookie card:

1979 Topps #116

Don't get me wrong.  I love THIS card too.  It was given to me by my buddy Woody over on CCW a few years ago and I'll always treasure it.  But if you take that fact out of the equation and made me choose between owning Ozzie's Topps or Hostess card, I'm going with the oddball issue.

I didn't always feel this way though.  Twenty years ago, I definitely would have gone with the Topps rookie card.  Ten years ago, I probably would have gone with the Topps rookie card.

But things change.  People change.

Three years ago... I didn't own either of these cards.  And although both cards sat atop my wantlist... the Hostess card ranked a little higher.

Things change.  People change.

What about you...

Are there certain cards, card brands, or card designs that you enjoy now much more than you did when you first started collecting?

Remember it's perfectly normal.  Things change.  People change.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

9 comments:

sg488 said...

Ding dongs are still really good ,did you check the freshness date before you ripped into it?

shoeboxlegends said...

Never seen that Hostess Ozzie before, what an awesome card.

The Lost Collector said...

Basically I'm obsessed with anything Pacific now. Growing up, it was like a consolation pack if the drugstore didn't have anything better.

Unknown said...

I taught fifth grade for ten years and then made the change to teach eighth grade. I have been teaching that grade for ten years and am so glad I made the change. You will be too.

madding said...

AHH! I need it.

BobWalkthePlank said...

TLC said it above but I second the Pacific cards. While I'm a sucker for any late 90's early 2000's parallel, Pacific takes the prize. I didn't appreciate it when they were out in the stores, but now I can't get enough.

GCA said...

"Middle School Graduation" still sounds weird to me. Never went to middle school. Our class was the last to avoid it when they built the first one around here. Went to junior and senior high.

Anyway, After skipping the late 80's, 90's, and first couple 2000s, there are plenty of brands that I never even saw. I do really like Pacific too, especially hockey and then football. One of my biggest affinities in the last few years has been finishing my early 80's error and variation sets, and also Pro Set Football. Cheap, plentiful and fun.

Reds Card Collector said...

I would say the 1970s Kellogg's cards. I never gave them much thought years ago, but I've grown to really appreciate their beauty compared to Topps cards of that same period.

Man said...

I didn't realize Ozzie had a Hostess card-fantastic.