30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Joy of Sorting on Your Office Floor


When I was a kid, one of my favorite things to do was pull out my box of baseball cards and sort through them.


My highest priority was to stack them by teams.


That way, I could easily find my favorite players and read their stats on the back.


After a few years... I became obsessed with collecting rookie cards of whoever was considered hot at the time.  This trend lasted throughout most of the 80's.


In the early 90's, I expanded my collecting horizons to other things such as comic cards.  Twenty-something years later... I'm still trying to complete those Marvel Universe sets.

Eventually I grew up and sorting cards became less of a priority.  Paying off my financial debt, focusing on my career, and buying a place replaced collecting sports cards.


Then in 2008, I was fortunate enough to be dating a girl who actually supported and encouraged me to collect cards, so I jumped back into the hobby.  At the time, cards of politicians were gaining popularity... which I thought was totally awesome.

Eight years later... I haven't looked back.


Over the years... I've shifted my collecting interests for the umpteenth time.  And these days... I mostly enjoy targeting a unique oddball, an on-card autograph, or a beautiful looking vintage card for one of my player or team collections.

But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate sitting down on my office floor on a Saturday afternoon... sifting through a few thousand trading cards that were generously sent to me by a fellow collector.


Thank you Woody for helping me take a stroll down memory lane.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

4 comments:

Matt said...

I love sorting. I know we don't say that too often. But right now I am in the middle of re-doing it all and taking that stroll back in time and discovering things I forgot about has been a lot of fun.

Adam said...

I too love sorting. It's actually pretty peaceful and is a nice stress reliever for me.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I hate it and love it. Of course I am talking about cards that need sorted that are new to me. Love finding a card I need.

BobWalkthePlank said...

I really enjoy sorting through cards, but I rarely have time to do it. Between keeping the blog active and sending out trades it makes finding the time difficult.