30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

All About Perspective

These days... a parallel numbered to 241 might as well be numbered to 2,410 in many collectors' eyes.  That's what happens when you can find 1 of 1 printing plates of hall of fame athletes for less than the price of a retail blaster box.

But back in the early 90's, the number two hundred forty-one placed the 1993 Finest baseball refactors in a league of their own.  To put things into perspective... the popular 1993 Donruss Elite Dominators were limited to either 2,500 or 5,000... and were extremely tough pulls that commanded a lot of money back in the day.

When this product was released in the Fall of 1993, I was an unemployed college student with very limited funds who had taken time off from the hobby.  It didn't matter though... even if I was collecting at the time... owning one of these rare parallels... especially one of my favorite players... was nothing short of a pipe dream.


Twenty-three years later, I now have a stable job with some discretionary income that I can apply towards the hobby I love.  So when I saw this card on sale over at 4 Sharp Corners for $63.50... I figured it was time to crack open my wallet and finally add it to my collection.


I honestly didn't think I'd ever actually own this card.  I have no problem splurging on a nice card every now and then... but it's typically going to either be a vintage hall of famer, a key rookie card, or a nice autograph addition to my PC.

Spending big money for a 90's parallel just isn't my style.  On the other hand... it feels like a huge weight has been lifted and I'm very excited to finally cross this card off of my wantlist.  Like the title of this post states... it's all about perspective.

Now I just need to decide if I want to keep it imprisoned or free it up.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

11 comments:

The Lost Collector said...

Man, I remember when it was a huge deal getting cards #d to 5,000 or 2,500.

Jon said...

What a beauty! I love me some 90's refractors. I'm always amazed when I come across a card #'d to less than 100 in a dime box. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that still thinks something numbered that low is big deal.

Brian said...

Finest Refractors are a thing of beauty, for sure. One day I will empty my pockets for a Puckett.

defgav said...

Congrats, Fuji! I similarly picked up a Padres 1993 Finest refractor a while back, but went with Bip Roberts as the more economical option.

Mark Hoyle said...

Very nice Fuji

The Junior Junkie said...

You stole that.

Jeremya1um said...

Congrats! '93 Finest was a landmark set. I got a Lance Johnson Refractor from COMC a while back just so I could say I owned one.

BobWalkthePlank said...

LOVE that card! Congrats

Reds Card Collector said...

Congrats Fuji! Always nice to acquire a card you've always wanted...even if it takes 23 years to do so!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Congrats! I'm a fan of those for sure!

Man said...

Beautiful card-I say keep it entombed. I have to say I am done with one of ones and the such-what nonsense. I would rather have a card like this-I am glad you were able to get for yourself-well deserved.