30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Two Worlds Collide


When I started blogging... I had so many ideas for posts.  Six years later... the well is rapidly drying up and I'm honestly lucky if I come up with a creative, unique idea once a month.

I'm not exactly sure if today's post is completely unique... but I came up with it while listening to television theme songs with my students a few weeks ago.  Ever since I was a wee little boy watching shows like Leave it to Beaver and Gilligan's Island... I've been a fan of television theme songs.

Today... I'm going to share my Top 5... along with some baseball cards that popped into my head while creating this list.

#1:  Greatest American Hero


Hands down... this is my favorite television theme song.  Yeah... I know it's cheesy.  But just hearing the first few seconds of this song gives me goosebumps, takes me back to my childhood, and puts a smile on my face.

However... choosing a card to go with it was no easy task, because it's literally impossible to name the single greatest American hero in terms of sports.

Do you choose someone like Kirk Gibson who hit one of the greatest walkoff home runs in World Series history?  Or maybe you go with a guy like Todd Frazier who once saved a man's life by performing the Heimlich Maneuver in a Pittsburgh restaurant.  And what about all of the ball players who served in the United States armed forces and put their lives on the line for our country?

1976 Topps #251

Do you see what I mean?  It's an impossible task.  Five guys literally popped into my head within the first minute... but I decided to go with Rick Monday.

On April 25th, 1976... the Chicago Cubs and Mr. Monday were visiting the Los Angeles Dodgers.  At the start of the fourth inning the following scene took place:


A father and son jump down from the left field stands and attempt to light the United States flag on fire.  But at the very last second, Mr. Monday runs in, swoops up the flag, and saves it... just like a super hero would.


#2:  Cheers


This is one of the most recognizable television theme songs on this list.  I'm sure many of you could identify the show before the first word is sung.  The show itself is one of my favorite comedies from the 80's and was part of a family tradition.  Back in the day... every Thursday evening my family would gather around the television and watch The Cosby Show, Family Ties, and Cheers.  Good times.


In one of the episodes, Wade Boggs makes a guest appearance...


It's funny.  My memory seems to get worse by the minute.  But I can still remember all of those television episodes from my childhood where athletes make special appearances.


#3:  Perfect Strangers



Another catchy tune that I memorized from my childhood.  Although I don't remember much about this show... I do remember thinking one of the blondes was really attractive.

About the same time this show was getting popular... two guys in Oakland were gaining in popularity too:

1990 U.S. Playing Cards All-Stars #WCO

Canseco and McGwire have little in common with Balki and Larry.  However... once upon a time, The Bash Brothers were a powerful pair of teammates with their own version of the High Five known as the Monster Bash.

These days, they don't speak to each other, aren't friends, and in a sense are... Perfect Strangers.


#4:  Growing Pains



With Growing Pains being the name of the show, I immediately thought of height.  And when you think of height and baseball, Eddie Gardel is the first person that comes to mind:

1961 Nu-Card Scoops #426

On August 19th, 1951... Gaedel became the shortest player in MLB history and at 3'7" tall... it's a record that will probably never be broken.


#5:  The Courtship of Eddie's Father



Originally... I had thought about going with the father/son duo of Ken Griffey Jr. and his father, since the show is about a father and his son.  But then I watched this video... which actually includes the theme song... and the selection of Elvis Andrus and Adrian Beltre became an instant no-brainer:



These guys are awesome!  Kinda makes me want to start a Beltre/Andrus PC.  Unfortunately I could only find one card featuring just the two of them:

2011 Topps Diamond Duos #DD9

There are a bunch of memorabilia cards featuring these two, but they all include at least one other player.

Alright, you know the routine...

What are some of your favorite television theme songs?

Looking forward to reading your responses.  If you're really bored... try to list the first card that comes to mind when you hear that song.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

15 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I wouldn't say these are favorites, not sure I have one. Just going with the first one that popped into my head.
The Jefferson's "movin on up"

Tony Burbs said...

Very well done. Some of my favorite TV themes include The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Friends, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and Batman. As for cards that correspond, I'd have to ponder a little harder.

Jason Presley said...

My favorite theme songs almost always tended toward the instrumental themes from action shows, Knight Rider, Air Wolf, Street Hawk, CHiPs, Simon & Simon and Magnum P.I. Of course then there is the absolutely awesome Queen's "Princes of the Universe" for Highlander, but it wouldn't really count as it was written for the movie.

BTW, if you haven't seen it, Adult Swim did an awesome bit ("The Greatest Event") where they re-created the Simon & Simon opening scene by scene, with Adam Scott and Jon Hamm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX1kCun566k

Hackenbush said...

I never liked the show but I did like the theme to Hawaii Five-O. It makes me think of Ron Darling. Cheers may be my favorite. I am a TV kid so there are a lot of them I like. The Addams Family. Top Cat. Mr. Ed. The last one makes me think of Leo Durocher.

night owl said...

True story: I had the sheet music for both The Greatest American Hero theme song and Hill Street Blues theme song and played them on the piano.

JediJeff said...

I hated the show, but the theme song was infectious. However, the original for the Courtship of Eddie's Father is so much better.

https://youtu.be/PaSnWNkVb2U

Hackenbush said...

Cool! I knew the theme was by Nillson but I never knew it was a redo. Thanks.

Jeff Jones said...

That Andrus/Beltre video is awesome

defgav said...

Great post, Fuji! I watched a lot of Perfect Strangers and Growing Pains as a kid. And expect some Cheers/Boggs content on my own blog very soon. ;)

As for your challenge.. Let's see.. howbout "Ducktales" (card: Kevin Quackenbush), "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" (Pee-Wee Reese), "Who's The Boss?" (did George Steinbrenner ever get a card?)

BobWalkthePlank said...

My parents still watch shows like Gunsmoke so that theme immediately comes to mind. For me it would be Law and Order, The Simpsons, and Sportscenter.

The Dutch Card Guy said...

A-team Theme bring back memories :-)

Angus said...

Other than some of the tv themes already mentioned, the themes to "Bonanza", "M*A*S*H" and the original "Battlestar: Galactica" jump out at me. And I'm sure everyone can sing along to "Gilligan's Island" and "Love Boat".

I also had the same sheet music as Night Owl to play on the piano.

Zippy Zappy said...

Cool concept Fuji.

Most of my favorite theme songs were superhero shows like Batman Beyond, Justice League Unlimited, Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Teen Titans.
The simple yet effective Ed, Edd n Eddy theme song is also a bit of a classic IMO.

Hackenbush said...

I forgot about M*A*S*H, "Suicide is Painless". That's a great one.

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

I've forgotten more than I can remember, so the audience here helped. Mash, Mork and Mindy, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Magnum PI. But GAH would probably be #1 for me too. I share in your cheese whiz theme song choice.