30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Garter Belts and Groupies

While doing a little homework for my Roy Hobbs card last week, I stumbled across a great article over on Cardboard Connection.  The article showcased a great collection of cards based on baseball movies.  If you're interested in checking it out... click here.

Anyways... that's where I discovered the 1988 Gatorade Bull Durham set...


Bull Durham might not be my favorite sports movie.  Heck.  It's not even my favorite baseball movie.  But it's definitely a classic and when I saw these oddballs, I knew I wanted a set for my collection.


I'm a huge fan of the dual photos.  Let's face it... two photos of the lovely Millie is better than one.


Or if you're into older women, than there's the sensational Susan Sarandon card.

The one thing that might bother some collectors is their size.  Each card measures 4" x 5", which could cause some storage issues.  Personally, I love cards in all shapes and sizes... so these oversized beauties don't bother me at all.  Plus I like how the overall design is reminiscent of the 1975 Topps baseball card set.


Rounding out the four card set is this epic card of Ebby "Nuke" LaLoosh, Bull Durham's rookie sensation.  How often do you see grown men wearing garter belts on trading cards?  This card alone was worth the three bucks I paid for this set.

Well that's it for now.  I'm hoping my 20th Anniversary version of The Sandlot arrives soon.  It's suppose to come with a special card set that includes cards of Smalls, Squints, and even The Beast.

Until then...

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

10 comments:

Laurens said...

I don't think I'd ever pay money for a card featuring a dude wearing a garter belt but to each his own.

Nice oddball set.

Eric Bracke said...

Best. Baseball. Movie. Ever. You need a lolligaggers shirt. http://durhambulls.milbstore.com/store_contents.cfm?store_id=133&product_id=47560

BobWalkthePlank said...

I love Bull Durham and Major League. Hard to choose.

Ana Lu said...

The last card wow

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Nice odd balls.

jacobmrley said...

They showed Tim Robbins in lingerie and *not* the girl who played Millie? I think the maker of these cards has got to get their priorities in order.

http://cdn.filmschoolrejects.com/images/bull-durham-1.jpg

BaseSetCalling said...

Susan Sarandon card? Sign me up.

Ryan G said...

I want this so bad.

Fuji said...

Lol... I'm not sure if the card industry was ready for that back in 1988. Although a few years later companies like Benchwarmers started popping up, so who knows. Great jpg. Millie was hot.

Fuji said...

They're really cheap on eBay. You can grab the whole set for a few bucks.