30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, June 4, 2012

PC Addition - Autographed Copy of Banzai Babe Ruth


A couple of weeks ago, a fellow collector sent me this cool promo card:


The card talked about a seventeen year old pitcher named Eiji Sawamura, who once struck out Charlie Gehringer, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Jimmie Fox in succession.

This stirred my curiosity, which led me to contacting Mr. Robert K. Fitts, who wrote the book Banzai Babe Ruth.


I asked about purchasing an autographed copy. $30 and a few days later, the book arrived on my doorstep.


Mr. Fitts included a handful of extra Banzai Babe Ruth promo cards and some Wally Yonamine promo cards for one of his other books:


If you're interested in adding these two promo cards to your collection, leave a comment below.

After a few days, I'll randomize the names and give a few of these sets out to fellow collectors who appreciate promotional cards and Japanese baseball players.

As for the book, I'm going to start reading it this weekend. I'll do a review of the book as soon as I'm finished. Although it could take me awhile. The last book I read took me close to a year to finish.

Happy Monday everyone and sayonara!

13 comments:

Spiegel83 said...

Count me in! These would be great for my collection.

jacobmrley said...

I love Japanese cards, count me in.

Mini Groover said...

I think I'd be interested.

A2 Wolverine said...

Count me in as well!

cornwellfamily said...

Nice add ons from Mr. Fitts. I would be interested. I am waiting to hear the review. I think I might ctually go and find a copy myself just to read.

Nick said...

I'd be interested, always a fan of neat cards you don't see every day.

Thanks!

TakaTanakaGiants said...

The book seems like a good read. Lookin' forward to a recap/review.
There's a copy of Baseball Fan (title translated to English) from the '30s over here in Japan. The cover is graced by Mr. Ruth and it's full of some nice black and white photos of his trip here. Collector's item, for sure, but a little pricey. After reading this post, I might have to pull the trigger and make a bid.

Fuji said...

Give me a month or so to finish the book. It's been a couple of days and I still haven't had the opportunity to crack it open. I'll definitely check out Baseball Fan, although if it's pricey... I probably won't be adding it to my collection.

Fuji said...

I'm planning on starting the book this weekend... and hopefully will have it done within 20 to 30 days. LOL... I'm a slow reader.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, love it when various things I enjoy crossover, in this case 20th century history and baseball (and baseball cards!). Gonna have to check this book out.

BA Benny said...

Looks like an interesting book, count me in for a shot at the promo cards, I have a binder dedicated to promos so they will fit in nicely if I am lucky enough to win.
Thanks.

Ryan G said...

I'm totally interested in the promo cards. Why I don't already own the book, I'm not sure.

Josh D. said...

How does a Japanese player get the name "Wally"? I'm sure that is addressed in the book. :-)

Count me in! Thanks.