30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saturday Night Five: Greg Maddux

"Greg Maddux is probably the best pitcher in all of baseball along with Roger Clemens. He's much more intelligent than I am because he doesn't have a 95 or 98 mph fastball. I would tell any pitcher who wants to be successful to watch him, because he's the true definition of a pitcher." - Randy Johnson

Why am I a fan of Greg Maddux? The same reason Randy Johnson and millions of others are.

He's one of the greatest pitchers of all-time and he relied on his brain, more than his arm strength.

Over the past two decades, I've slowly put together a small Greg Maddux PC. These day, I pretty much only trade for memorabilia cards of him. But thanks to Check Out My Cards, I've also purchased a variety of inserts and parallels when the price is right. Here are five of my favorite, cheap Maddux cards:

1997 Donruss Limited "Limited Exposure" #2
Beckett Value: $8
COMC Value: $1 (my purchase price)

A refractor "knock-off"? Maybe. But who cares... this card is sweet looking!


1996 Emotion-XL "D-Fense" #6
Beckett Value: $4
COMC Value: 41¢ (my purchase price)

There's something "awesome" about cards that feature matted borders. Best thing about it? I built the whole set off of COMC for $3.54.


2008 Finest "Refractors" #103
Beckett Value: $3
COMC Value: 60¢ (my purchase price)

A Maddux refractor featuring him in a San Diego Padres uniform? Can you say "perfection"?


1996 Studio "Stained Glass Stars" #4
Beckett Value: $6
COMC Value: 84¢ (my purchase price)

Brightly colored, see through acetate? Yup... isn't it puurrrty?


1996 SPx "Bound for Glory" #1
Beckett Value: $8
COMC Value: $1.20 (my purchase price)

And finally, I couldn't create a list of cheap, cool Maddux cards without adding at least one hologram from the 90's. Upper Deck... get your stuff together & get back into the game.

Oh... before I head off to watch the Sharks' game. I almost forgot... today is The Professor's 46th birthday.

Happy Birthday Mr. Maddux!

Happy Saturday everyone... and sayonara!

6 comments:

Wes Moore the former JBF said...

Great post and Great Pick Ups Fuji! Enjoy the Game!

Hackenbush said...

Nice handful of Maddux's.

TakaTanakaGiants said...

Nice Maddux in a Padres uni. Never got a chance to see him on the mound, unfortunately.

Fuji said...

Thanks! Unfortunately... Sharks lost :(

Fuji said...

Thanks!

Fuji said...

Yeah... love that card. I never saw him pitch in a Padres uniform, but was fortunate to see him pitch at Candlestick.