30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Top 5: Ichiro Suzuki PC Possessions

I love hard working athletes. I love athletes who stay loyal to their teams. And in baseball... while many love the power hitters... I love players who are pure hitters. Regular readers of my blog probably know that one of my favorite players of all-time is Tony Gwynn... because he fits into all three categories. Ichiro Suzuki does too.

Today Ichiro collected his 200th hit of the season against the Toronto Blue Jays. He's the first player this season to do this, but probably won't be the last. What makes this feat special is that he's reached this milestone a record setting 10 years in a row. I am truly in awe when I see this guy hit. From the time he steps up to the plate... to the moment his bat connects with the ball it's a work of art.

So in honor of one of my favorite players of the game and his amazing feat... here are my top 5 PC items of Ichiro Suzuki:

#1: 2000 BBM #326


It's my favorite item for two reasons: I love the card design and it's from his playing days in Japan.


#2: 2002 McFarlane Rookie Piece


I love this item because it show's off his beautiful swing. This particular figure is his regular version (with black glasses). I also have the variant (silver glasses), but it's still sealed.


#3: 2005 Upper Deck Mini Jersey


I've always been a sucker for oddball items and mini jerseys are close to the top of the list. I'm impressed with the detail and the stitching on these jerseys. They're not worth much, but I don't have any intention of ever selling this bad boy.


#4: 2008 & 2009 Allen and Ginter Memorabilia Cards


I haven't busted a box of newer baseball cards in years. However if I ever start I can guarantee it'll either be Upper Deck Masterpieces or Topps A&G. Both sets have amazing designs and its for this reason that I picked them as my #4 favorite item.


#5: 2001 Upper Deck Play Makers


I actually have four of these, but I only busted these two because the packaging was damaged. They seem to be made out of the exact same mold (with the exception of the ROY sign and the color of paint. Bobble heads are another one of my favorite collectibles from my childhood. I have around 10 in my collection, but these are probably my favorite.


Honorable Mention: 2001 UD Victory Rookie (PSA 10)


If you can believe it... this is the only rookie card that I own of Ichiro. I can't afford his other stuff. Thank goodness UD produced products like MVP and Victory.

My Ichiro collection is pretty tiny. As of today, I only have 8 cards in all. Five of them are memorabilia cards, 2 are Japanese cards, and of course the rookie card mentioned above. I have a bunch of his base cards, but I don't really consider them to be part of my PC, since they're just sitting in 5,000 count boxes somewhere.

However, if you have any of his pre 2001 Japanese cards or any of his newer memorabilia cards and you want to trade them... send me a PM.

Now for today's question of the day: How many more 200 hit seasons does Ichiro have left in him? Remember he's no young buck... he'll be turning 37 in October.

I'll leave you with this little gem. We all know that this guy can hit (2,230 hits + counting with the Seattle Mariners). And we also know that he can field (9x Gold Glove award winner). But how many of you knew that he could pitch too. Here's a video of Ichiro pitching the final out of the 1996 Japanese all-star game.


Congratulations Ichiro!

5 comments:

Dodgerbobble said...

I never knew Ichiro could pitch too. He had pretty good mechanics.

I think Ichiro could play 10 more years, and still be one of the best hitters in the game. But I doubt he'll play that long. I say he plays five more seasons in the states and gets 200 hits in at least 3 of them.

Anonymous said...

Heard somewhere he expressed a desire to play into his mid-40s, so with the way he takes care of himself (I guess this was Gwynn's undoing?), certainly three more seems doable, and I could see him do it all the way till age 42 if he's healthy. I've never seen such a smooth player hitting and on defense, and even at his age, 3500+ hits seems completely realistic, if not a foregone conclusion if he wants it.

Tony Mc said...

The way this guy looks after himself I think he can hit 200 for at least the next 5 years and will probably play for 2 or 3 seasons after that.

Steve D said...

Before reading any of the comments here, I figured on 3 more seasons. It's just a part of reality that age catches up and could result in fewer games played and a loss of speed, costing him infield hits.

Last year I bought a game used base card of Ichiro for $1.50. Although part of the base is peeling (it looks like someone touched it and part rubbed off) it's still a cool card that I love.

Fuji said...

dodgerbobble - i saw this video clip a while back on a forum and tripped out... he's so talented. i hope he plays for as long as he's productive... my guess is 3 to 5 more years.

lonestarr - yeah gwynn started to put on the poundage as the years went by... however, he could hit until the day he retired.

tony mc - i hope he's like gwynn and retires still hitting above .300 and remains a mariner for life.

steve d - wow... gu card of ichiro for $1.50. i'd pick those up all day long.