30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Future of the Blog

Long time, no write.  I've been thinking a lot about the future of the blog, but before I get into that... let's look at some cards...

1985 AGI Rock Star Concert Cards #8

I was driving home from Starbucks this weekend when I heard on the radio that a bunch of musicians from my childhood were going to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Pat Benatar (and her husband) stood out the most and was the inspiration for this post.


In addition to making cassette mix tapes of my favorite songs back in the 80's, I spent some time creating music video mix tapesBenatar's Shadows of the Night was on one of them.  Have no idea the numbers, but I watched and rewatched that video a lot.  Forty years later, I still know most of the lyrics.

She's one of my favorite musicians of all-time and I'm kind of surprised it took this long for her to be inducted.

Duran Duran was the other name that stood out when I heard the list of inductees...

J2 New Wave #11

They were one of my favorite groups when I was in elementary school.  I remember asking my mom to rent the Girls on Film video at the video store and inviting my buddies over to watch it.


That was probably right around the same time I purchased my first Duran Duran album: Seven and the Ragged TigerThe Reflex was a memorable video with the waterfall pouring onto the crowd.  It ended up being the group's first #1 single.

According to Wikipedia, the song reached #1 on June 23, 1984.  That would have been the start of my summer break (before junior high)... which means there's a chance I was listening to this song while sitting around opening up packs of 1984 Topps baseball cards.


I never came close to completing the set back in 1984... but thanks to a fellow collector who reads this blog... I managed to complete the set build that started back in 2018.

The plan is to one day slide this set into 9-pocket pages, so I can flip through this awesome set from my childhoodUntil then, it's home will be in a traditional 800ct. box:


Thank you Regan for sending me the final forty-seven cards I needed for this set.  And thank you for checking in with me and the blog over the years.  It's much appreciated.

I also would like to take a few seconds to thank all of you who took the time to read this post.  I'm not really sure what the future holds for this blog.

The past few months have been extremely busy for me, but that's only half of the story.  The other half is that I haven't been motivated to write.  I'm hoping the passion for writing returns soon, because I haven't stopped collecting and there are plenty of cards sitting around the office waiting to be written about.

Until then... here's one more card related to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2022:

1990 Bill Pucko Utica Blue Sox #27

Morgana wasn't part of this year's class, but Dolly Parton was.


Unfortunately I don't have any of Dolly's trading cards, so I went with someone with a similar body type.

Thanks again to all of you for supporting the blog.  I will see you around the blogosphere.  Just because I'm not motivated to write doesn't mean I'm not motivated to read and comment on your posts.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara for now!

24 comments:

Dennis said...

Fun stuff! Don't feel bad about not being motivated to post, I'm like that too but I try to keep up with it a little to show off what I've added and share what nice people have sent me. But if it starts to feel like too much then you can always dial it back or take a break.

John Sharp said...

I posted today, but it was the first in a couple weeks, and it was a couple of weeks before that...I always think about things to write about, but they never find the blog. Keep collecting, blog when you cam. We'll be here.

Matt said...

I am not motivated either. Hence the random card posts on scc, that is officially officially ending on dec 31st. There will be NO MORE POSTS on there ever again. Not to mention, the sponsors are gone as well. They played a huge role on this blog.

Cards over coffee doesn't get the views, comments that it used to. Doesn't motivate me to.blog there anymore and i Don't like the direction its heading.

My Giants blog nobody reads.

Combine that with being busy, uncreative and writing has been on the backburner. Not sure how much longer i will hang around in terms of posting. Will always read and comment when i can

Matt said...

And speaking of scc, those posts are all done for the year to finish it off. So i can sit back now and not worry

Matt said...

Writing should be an enjoyable activity, and there is no reason to feel obligated to post if the motivation isn't there. Take it easy, and I'm sure inspiration will strike sooner or later.

night owl said...

Yeah, I never buy the excuse that people are too busy to blog. That may be periodically true, but it's always motivation. If you're motivated, you'll make it happen.

Here's hoping you find the motivation in the future.

Jon said...

I've said it many times before, but I never understand how all of you teacher bloggers ever have the time, or energy, to write posts during the school year.

I don't think that you have to worry about anyone going anywhere, so if you have to take longer breaks in-between posts, I'm sure that everyone will understand; and still be here when you do feel like putting something up.

gregory said...

Even guys like Pete Rose and Ichiro had slumps during their careers. Fortunately, you don't have millions of people booing you and sportswriters publishing harsh articles about you. Take a rest if you need to, and you'll get the mojo back!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Whenever you write....I will read. I've noticed that lately you hadn't been asking the question or questions that you used to ask relating to the post. Hmm. Maybe, just maybe some good questions will inspire/motivate a writing frenzy. I hope so, your post are fun to read.

Elliptical Man said...

Saw Benatar / Geraldo live. Good show.

Billy Kingsley said...

I'm in the same boat, just haven't been motivated to write lately. I keep saying "I should write something" and then I don't.

RR said...

You know I feel the same way I still collect and have piles of new cards but I have lost the feel for writing. I like to blog but I seem to lose interest. I have tried different kinds of cards non auto's, auto's, Baseball etc... Maybe soon I will get it all back but for now I am focusing on my collection and reading and commenting on others blogs. Your blog I do enjoy and I was happy to see another post.

Bo said...

Hopefully we'll see more of your writing in the future. Also hope you're still opening to receiving cards; I've been slowly building up a package for you.

The Diamond King said...

I've got some of the same disease. I still want to blog. I just don't want to write very often. And the fact that my computer died isn't helping things lately. Awesome Morgana!

CaptKirk42 said...

You had my attention with the awesome thumbnail card picture of a Fantastic Rock Legend(s) Pat Benatar and her husband Neil Geraldo. A personal fave of Mine.

As many others have noted I too suffer from the lack of motivation to write. I have been pretty good about my self appointed at least one post per month quota for my blogging. Some months it is down to the wire due to the lack of motivation thing coupled with the lack of desire to scan, especially when I have a boat load of scanning to do. That is why for those who follow my blog(s) the posts tend to be a bit boring, more so than usual.

Rebel Coyote said...

Same with me. Trying to write some down but the words don't come out. Get frustrated and not post it.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Thanks for commenting still on everyone. Blog malaise definitely seems to be common. We've been fallow at SABR for months and I just haven't felt like writing much since las spring (if it wasn't for trade packages and TTM returns I'd have nothing). I'm optimistic it'll come back but for now it is what it is.

bamlinden said...

Have always enjoyed your posts and your thoughts. I scaled back on my posting a number of years back and now go with the mindset that “blogging will always be there when I feel that itch”.

I hope you continue to enjoy the hobby and enjoy blogging for what it is (and not feel beholden to it).

All the best.

Chris said...

My wife was very excited and thrilled about Duran Duran entering the RRHOF. It's tough to find any broadcast of the ceremony though.

Maybe one day I'll pick up some Duran cards for her lol.

I've been burned out from blogging myself. There's only so much one can write about sports cards - unless you're Night Owl!

GCA said...

I've dropped off to less than once a month. I keep getting cards, but some of them aren't exciting enough to scan for others. I have a couple posts in mind that are basically rants against the main trends in the hobby, but I haven't sat down to see if there's anything constructive in them. Otherwise, I feel like it's all been said already.

Maybe we need more Blog Bat-Arounds......

The Lost Collector said...

Best of luck in you decision. Do it for you and what's best for you. I hung it up last February and don't miss it in the slightest, which means for me, the time was right. Hoping you find what is right for you. Regardless, you have been and always will be one of my favorite blogs.

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

Simon from Duran Duran was on Kimmel lately - did you see that? Mix tapes... I remember those :-)

Don't feel any pressure to write, just do it when you feel like it so it stays fun. I know easier said than done. I feel a little pressure to start writing, mostly for the several readers I had and mainly for you (feels like it's paying back for all I've read of your blog). I have been too busy to blog - for me it's a mix of priorities and motivation. Other priorities are higher and while motivation is there, it's not enough to overcome priorities.

For some reason, I feel like I should end with May the Force be with you :-)

Jafronius said...

Hey if life happens then it happens, but if you've enjoyed posting before then you'll come back. Looking forward to the next post, whenever that'll be!

Sean said...

I haven't been motivated to blog much recently either, its been more than a month since my last post.

With me I have a few hobbies and my attention tends to wander from one to the other. At the moment my baseball card collection is taking a back seat to other interests so I've set the blog aside until they come back into favor with me.

I'm always amazed at guys who can keep a consistent blog output up month after month, I've never been able to do that.