30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Unconditional Love

I'm sure many of you are planning on enjoying this romantic holiday with your significant others, so I'll keep this post short and sweet.

I've been in love with this hobby since I was eight or nine years old, which is why I get excited three times a year to hang out with friends at the Serramonte Mall Sports Card, Toys, and Collectibles Show.

Today I'll be wrapping up the rest of my card show haul that took place three weekends ago.

In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I figured I'd kick things off with a shiny pink card:

 
1993 Donruss Elite #24

The guy who sold me the relics and rookie cards from last week's posts is the same guy who sold me this Mattingly.


This card was by far my favorite purchase from the show.  Anyone who collected cards back in the early 90's is familiar with the history of this insert set.  That's why my eyes lit up as soon as I saw it sitting in a 50% to 75% off bin.  It's hard to see, but there's a tiny ding in the bottom left hand corner, but I still love it.  

Unconditional love, right?  

Actually the ding is the thing that helped bring the price tag down to $10.

In addition to the Mattingly, I also picked up these four cards that were sitting in his $5 bin:

2001 Upper Deck Hall of Famers Bat #B-RCa

1996 Leaf Signature Series Autographs Bronze #NNO
2001 Topps Team Legends Autographs #NNO

2002 Fleer Triple Crown Season Crowns Triple Swatch #NNO (#'d 067/100)

Two on card autographs and two memorabilia cards featuring four hall of famers... all for $15.  I can live with that.  I absolutely love the Maddux.  It represents the 71st memorabilia card of his in the collection.

My final purchase of the day was from my buddy who sold me these six cards for five bucks:


I'm looking forward to seeing if Andujar can build on those impressive numbers he put up in 2018.  Part of me doesn't want him to, since he's a Yankee.  But if he does, at least I'll be sitting on a few of his rookie cards.

Well that's it for today.  Happy Valentine's Day and sayonara!

15 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

71 Maddux relics? I am so so jealous.

The Turrdog said...

I love my copy of this Mattingly as well. The 1993 Elite Dominator card, now that's a tough one to find!

Base Card Hero said...

1992 and 1993 Donruss Elite inserts was and always will be "The Sh*t!"

Great pick-up!

Matt said...

Lots of Yankees for Fuji just doesn't seem right haha

bbcardz said...

Very cool pickups! I haven't been to a card show in quite a while, so I think I need to go soon...

Matt said...

That Johnson/Martinez/Maddux card is worth $15 by itself! Great finds!

Collecting Cutch said...

Nice haul from the show. Congrats on #71 for Maddux. Truthfully I love that Hawk auto the most of the bunch. Seeing players with on card signatures of teams they arent well known for is really cool and odd to me. Dawson will always be a Cub or Expo to me

Jon said...

Even with a tiny ding, that Mattingly for $10 seems like it was very underpriced!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Nice snags and Andre has one of the best looking autos around.

Peter K Steinberg said...

A well timed and themed post! That Mattingly is pretty special. That's from right after I left the hobby so it was brand new to me.

Chris said...

You got a great deal on the Mattingly, and even better that you were able to judge the condition with your own eyes (I buy dinged cards on COMC, and some are barely noticeable while others are pretty rough) I hope Andujar stays right where he is, mostly so the Yanks dont get greedy and grab Machado.

The triple relic, Campy and Hawk cards are fantastic, too. IMO, Johnson, Martinez, and Maddux are the three best pitchers of my lifetime. (Clemens doesn't count)

Chris P said...

Love the Mattingly and wow what a deal on those mem cards and autos!! Love the Hawk, Campy (which is from one of my favorite early 2000's mem sets, those cards just look so awesome) and triple relic!! Nice score!!

Fuji said...

john miller - that number actually surprised me... especially since i don't spend a lot of money on relic cards. comc is a great source for affordable maddux relics

the turrdog - for sure. i'd love to get my hands on the autographed version of that card

base card hero - agree 100%

sport card collectors - i know, right? that's unconditional love for cards.

bbcardz - i'm glad this one shows up 3x a year.

matt - that's what i was thinking myself. it was a huge addition to my maddux pc

collecting cutch - dawson will always be an expo to me. but for the price, i couldn't pass it up.

sumomenkoman - yeah... and the black sharpie really stands out on the white background

peter k steinberg - although i was in the hobby big time, i still didn't see many of these over the years. and when i did, they weren't cheap

chris - lol. if you don't include clemens, those 3 are probably the best three in my lifetime as well.

chris p - thanks. overall, i was very happy with my score even if i didn't find a 1973 topps set ;)

acrackedbat said...

93 Elites were high dollar inserts for awhile. I'm chasing a few now. I was fortunate to pull a Nolan Ryan in 93. Have the Jumbo to match it. Nice adds, Fuji!!

Fuji said...

Wow. Congratulations on pulling that Ryan! Fantastic card!