30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, September 22, 2018

On the Prowl

Today I'll be attending the Serramonte Mall Sports Card, Toys, and Collectibles Show.  It's up the San Francisco Peninsula just south of "City by the Bay", which happens to be about an hour's drive from my doorstep.

I thought about skipping this show, since I've been spending a lot of money lately.  But I told my buddy I'd go and hang out with him.

Plus there are a couple of things I'll be looking for...

#11973 Topps Baseball Set

1973 Topps #142

This is the last set I need to complete my birth year run from 1972 to 1986.  I'm not getting my hopes up, since I'm not sure I've ever seen a complete set of these at this particular show.  I might need to wait until the TriStar Show in April.


#21978 Kellogg's Baseball Set

 1978 Kellogg's #1

I recently purchased a 1979 Kellogg's set, so I'm now targeting the 1978 set.  I was able to find the 1974, 1976, and 1977 sets a few months ago at this show.  However the vendor who sold me those set assured me that he didn't have any others.  Hopefully he was lying.

I'll definitely be digging through bargain boxes looking for cheap autographs and memorabilia cards.  Plus I'm hoping to run into and catch up with Mr. Haverkamp and Brady over at St. Louis Cardinals' Cardboard.

If I end up purchasing anything, I'll make sure to post a card show recap up sometime this week.

Until then... I hope you all are enjoying your weekend.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

13 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

fingers crossed

The Shlabotnik Report said...

Part of my brain says "Buying a complete 1973 set? You can do that?" :-)

Good luck with your endeavor!

Peter K Steinberg said...

Happy Saturday, too. Hope you had some success at the show.

night owl said...

If I went to as many shows as you do, I'd be in the poor house. ... I don't know if they still have those, but they'd make one just for me.

mr haverkamp said...

Sorry to miss out...it's that pesky golf club championship tournament weekend again...

Man said...

Fantastic to see ya and thank you for the box of goodies! I was able to really fill some holes and I appreciate it!

Fuji said...

john miller - you can uncross them. i went 0 for 2 with a few sacrifice flies

the shlabotnik report - i can't afford to try and build that set. i'm better off dropping $300 in one lump sum. sadly... didn't see a single 73T set there

peter k. steinberg - it was fun, but i didn't find what i was looking for

night owl - this particular show sets up 3x each year. plus there's the tristar and gtsm. it seems like a lot, since two of the serramontes and the gtsm show were in the past 4 months. no local shows for me to attend until january (unless i want to drive out to sacramento).

mr haverkamp - hope you played well. have fun today.

b man - as always... it's good to see you again and catch up. haven't gotten around to looking at your care package. hope to do it this afternoon.

Community Gum said...

an hour away seems like quite a drive for a show. Even though it looks like you didn't get your goals, hopefully it was still worthwhile

The Lost Collector said...

My Saturday consisted of going to a 4 year olds dance class and soccer practice. I wish I could go to a card show!

Baltmoss68 said...

Hope you found some nice things. Working on 73Topps football myself. And always love the Kellogg’s when they pop up

Fuji said...

community gum - yeah... i'm not a fan of driving an hour. however it's my favorite "local" show. there are times i wish i hadn't wasted the time and gas, but most of the time it's worth the journey.

the lost collector - i hope you had a lot of fun.

baltmoss68 - lots of small stuff. nothing epic. btw... built your prize package. just need to get my butt down to the post office to ship it out.

Bulldog said...

I'm attending a show in 2 weeks. It is the one get to each year and I'm excited. No big plan on what I'll be looking which makes it that much more fun .

Fuji said...

Have fun! Hope you find a few things for your collection.