30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Hanging Out and Eating Cake

Birthdays just don't carry the same weight as they used to.  Well.  At least to me.  I'm not gonna say it's exactly like the other 364 days out of the year, but I'm way past the point of marking my calendar and waiting for the day to arrive.


On the other hand... a few of my former students look at it as an opportunity to hang outeat cake, and catch up with their middle aged teacher who refuses to dab or take selfies.  It's moments like these that remind me of just how lucky I am to have picked this career twenty-something years ago.

After hanging out with them for awhile, I headed over to the annual GT Sports Marketing Show held at the Santa Clara Convention Center.  There were only eight to twelve card dealers, but I found some pretty cool items that I'll share later in the week.

Which leads me to today... my actual birthday.  This morning I hit up the De Anza Flea Market with my buddy and found a vendor who was blowing out his inventory of sports and non-sports trading cards.  I haven't taken photos of my purchases, so that too will be shared later in the week.

Instead... I'll show off the contest prize package I won over at Johnny's Trading Spot:

2018 Topps Archives The Sandlot Coins

2018 Topps Archives The Sandlot Inserts

Archives is one of my favorite products year in and year out... and I'm excited to say that these are the first to hit my collection.  The coins are very cool, but I'm even more excited to try and build the 11 card insert set.

If that wasn't generous enough, he also included these parallels and inserts:


Congratulations Johnny on your 5th year of blogging and thank you so much for the cards!  I hope all of you are having a great holiday weekend.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

19 comments:

Jon said...

Happy birthday, Fuji!

Zippy Zappy said...

Happy belated B-Day.

Dennis said...

Happy birthday, buddy! Thanks for the amazing trade package (which I'll try to post soon). Cool that your former students did that!

Nick said...

Happy birthday, Mr. Fuji! Those Sandlot cards/coins are an excellent way to celebrate.

Big Tone said...

Happy Birthday ,Fuji!

The Shlabotnik Report said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm looking forward to checking out those birthday finds!

Adam said...

Happy birthday Fuji!

shoeboxlegends said...

Happy belated birthday Fuji! Looking forward to seeing what you picked up at the flea market!

Jafronius said...

Belated happy birthday sir!

Matt said...

Happy birthday!

Brett Alan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brett Alan said...


All the really cool people are born in September or October! B^) Mine is tomorrow. Hope yours was great!

Fuji said...

Thank you for all of your birthday wishes!

Shlabotnik Report & shoeboxlegends - It's not anything too mind-blowing in regards to card values, but there are some pretty cool pickups. Stay tuned.

Fuji said...

Happy Birthday Brett!

Hackenbush said...

Happy birthday!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Happy Birthday!!

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

That’s an awesome student gift, happy birthday!

P-town Tom said...

HBD, Fuji! Students can be really great. Glad you got to share lunch with a few of the ones who you've obviously had an influence on!

Greg Zakwin said...

Happy Birthday!