30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Beauty and the Beast

Do you ever sit back and reminisce on your childhood celebrity crushes?  If not, you should give it a try.  It can be a little humorous and nostalgic at the same time.

I had a few.  My favorites were Phoebe Cates, Nicole Eggert, Pam Dawber, Erin Gray, and the Japanese girl who held the tea ceremony with Daniel-San in The Karate Kid Part II.

However... none of these ladies were my first.  That honor goes to Dawn Wells:


2012 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #44

If you grew up watching Gilligan's Island, then you're familiar with the famous pop culture debate:  Ginger or Mary Anne?

Although I considered both women to be very attractive, I pledged my allegiance to the brown haired girl with the wholesome looks, innocent charm, and big, warm smile.

In fact, I targeted this specific card awhile back for two major reasons:

1.  That smile instantly took me back four decades.
2.  I was also drawn to the on-card autograph.

Wells has signed for a few different trading card companies over the years, but the majority of them have utilized stickers.


So what do you think of my latest non-sports card addition?  Isn't she a beauty?

And as foreshadowed by the title of this post, I hereby present the other big eBay purchase I made recently.  Introducing... The Beast:

1999 Topps Autographs #A10

As much as I have disliked the San Francisco Giants over the years, I always enjoyed watching Barry step into the batter's box.  I won't go into why he has my inconsequential support again.  I'm just hoping that one day people will remember his actions on the field a little more than focusing on The Beast who took PED's and didn't get along with the media.

Regardless, I'm happy to  add another autograph of The Home Run King.

Okay it's your turn...


Who are some of your favorite childhood beauties?  And who are some of your favorite Beasts in baseball?

Happy Hump Day and sayonara!

15 comments:

Section 36 said...

Love the Wells auto. Variety is a great thing to have in a collection.

Jon said...

Your Dawn Wells auto is definitely a beauty, it's also a card that I have bid on, and subsequently lost out on many times over the last couple of years :(

Bulldog said...

I was so in love with Dawn Wells. Heck I may still be. Awesome card and by they way she is still a fun follow on Facebook.

Man said...

Phoebe, Phoebe, Phoebe, Phoebe

Billy Kingsley said...

My first celebrity crush was Yvonne Craig... Batgirl on the Batman show.

gcrl said...

Jaclyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd made quite an impression on young gcrl in the opening credits to Charlie's Angels.

Brett Alan said...

Yeah, thT was probably mine, too. Then Farrah Fawcett, and then the closer-to-my-age Kristy McNicol.

Laurens said...

Mid 1980s-early 1990s SI Swimsuit models - Kathy, Elle, Carol, Kim, Rachel, Paulina, et al.

Chris said...

Great idea for a post, beauty and the beast indeed. Never liked Barry Bonds but I've got a hunch he doesn't have a lot of certified autos out there.

I do enjoy reminiscing about crushes..my first celebrity crush was Christina Applegate. I don't really have one at the moment, which is rare for me.

GCA said...

Jaclyn Smith, Catherine Bach, Sheena Easton, for sure.

Beasts would be guys like George Foster, Eddie Murray, and other badass dudes like that.

acrackedbat said...

H.R. Pufnstuf - crush AND beast. ;)

SumoMenkoMan said...

The princess from A Neverending Story.

sg488 said...

Beauty-Angie Dickinson, Point Blank/Police Woman. Beast- Witchiepoo, H.R.Pufnstuf.

The Lost Collector said...

Definitely Kelly Kapowski and Topanga.

Fuji said...

Section 36 - Variety is definitely my thing. Focus mainly on baseball, but I have a little bit of everything else too.

Jon - Hopefully we didn't bid against each other. If we did, the good news is I'm not longer in the running.

Bulldog - I'll have to look her up. Although, I'm rarely on FB myself.

B Man - You, me, and about 88% of the other guys in our age group.

Billy Kingsley & Brett Alan - Yvonne Craig = excellent call.

gcrl - I totally forgot about Jacklyn Smith. I'd like to add her to my list.

Laurens - Elle was on the first SI Swimsuit issue I ever owned. Ahhh... the memories.

Chris - Compared to other most guys he doesn't, but their not rare either. My favorites are the late 90's/early 2000's Topps issues. Applegate was good looking, but I couldn't get past her character on Married with Children

GCA - Great picks. Foster and Murray are definitely beasts.

Julie Owens - Had to Google it, but I totally recognized the theme song... although don't remember the actual show.

SumoMenkoMan - Wow. Blast from the past. Loved that movie.

sg488 - Had to look up Angie Dickinson. She's beautiful. Witchiepoo... not so much.

The Lost Collector - They were a little young for me back in the 90's, but I saw Topanga on a cover of Maxim a few years ago and had to flip through it. It was totally worth it.