30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, June 16, 2017

Pièce de Résistance

After wrapping up my nineteenth year in public education, I have received a fair share of student drawn work over the years that decorate part of my classroom walls.  The rest are methodically inserted into plastic sleeves that fill four 3" d-ring binders.

There has only been one picture that I've actually taken home and hung up for my friends and family to see.  Until now.  Last week one of my seventh graders painted this for me:


It's a 8"x10" canvas painting that features popular characters from legendary Japanese animator, Hayao Miyazaki.  He's written and directed many award winning films, such as:  My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke.

Every year, I have at least a handful of students who are fans of his films and every year I find making a connection with them through these awesome movies.  This year one of those short conversations must have planted a seed that eventually blossomed into one of coolest pieces of art I've ever owned.

I love it so much that I went out, purchased a frame, and placed it on a bookshelf at home.    I plan on bringing it back to school in August, so my student can see her work hanging up in my classroom.  But as soon as she graduates a year from now, it's coming home with me permanently.

Thank you Sophia for this beautiful painting!

Last week, I also received a pair of generous gifts of the sports card variety.

The first card was sent to me by GCRL over at Cards as I See Them and it's the latest addition to my Japanese baseball player collection:


2017 Bowman Chrome #BCP97

Norimoto pitched in two games during the 2017 World Baseball Classic for Samurai Japan, but struggled against Cuba and the Netherlands.  He had the worst ERA and WHIP among all Japanese pitchers during the tournament.

The good news is that he hasn't let the bad experience affect his season with the Rakuten Golden Eagles in the NPB.  He is currently leading the league in strikeouts.



Some of you might also remember his name when he helped Samurai Japan no-hit a team of MLB all-stars back in 2014.

Thank you Jim for my very first Norimoto baseball card!

The other package was an Beckett lot purchased by Uncle Tiny who had the cards shipped to my mailbox.

Four cards.  Four Dennis Eckersley's.  Three of them feature very low serial numbers:

2005 UD HOF "Seasons" #HFS-DE1 (#'d 25/50)

2005 UD HOF "Hall Worthy" #HW-DE2 (#'d 5/15)

2005 Donruss Greats "Platinum Holofoil" #17 (#'d 10/50)


Plus there was this non-serial numbered insert:


1993 UD "Clutch Performers" #R8

Thanks Uncle Tiny!

I already own the "Clutch Performers" insert, but all three of those serial numbered cards are awesome additions to my Eckersley collection.

Have a great Father's Day weekend!  Happy Friday and sayonara!

5 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

You need to get Sophia to sign that painting....You know just in case

Man said...

Talented young woman-I can see why you took it home to show off

SumoMenkoMan said...

Awesome poster! I see Studio Ghibli is showing some of Miyazaki's films on the big screen over the next several months.

Doe M.G. said...

Love Miyazaki's film work, and that is a fabulous painting!

Fuji said...

John Miller - Lol. I know, right? She wrote her name on the bottom left of the painting... I just edited out for privacy issues. But and autograph would be cool too.

B Man - That she is. Definitely one of the coolest gifts ever. By the way... heading out to Serramonte today?

SumoMenkoMan - I noticed that. I made plans to go see Totoro on Monday night. Very excited. Never actually saw the original in the theaters. I've only seen his movies on DVD.

Doe M.G. - Thanks! Agree on both accounts.