30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Eye of the Tiger

It's funny... a fighter is the last thing any of my friends or family would consider me.  In fact, I've only gotten into one physical altercation in my lifetime and it involved me jumping on a guy's back, him throwing me to the ground, and then him sitting on me until the yard duty arrived.  I know... it's not one of my finer moment's.

Anyways...let's get back on track.  Even though I'm not a fighter myself, I've always enjoyed sports like mixed martial arts and professional wrestling and that's what today's post is all about.

However... before we get to the cardboard, let's set the mood with some Survivor...


There are a handful of songs from my childhood that literally get the adrenaline flowing and this song is one of them.  Now that we've got some mood music in the background, let's check out some cards that Chris over at The Raz Card Blog recently sent me...


2016 Topps Slam Attax #259

Two weeks ago, he wrote a post about these WWE gaming cards and I asked him if Topps produced Harry Fujiwara or Ricky Steamboat cards.  Topps dropped the belt and left Mr. Fuji off their checklist, but it was nice to hear that they showed The Dragon some love.  As I've mentioned a few times on this blog, he's one of my favorite wrestlers of all-time.  Raz pulled an extra from his packs and generously sent it my way.

He also sent me another duplicate sitting in his collection:

2016 BBM True Heart Autograph #NNO

I honestly don't follow Japanese women's wrestling, but I always enjoy reading about their trading cards on Raz's blog.  The wrestlers featured in BBM's True Heart sets always seem to have the coolest autographs around and Dash Chisako doesn't disappoint.  I love how she incorporates a face into her signature.  Wouldn't it be cool to see Mike Trout infuse a glove into his autograph?

Last... but certainly not least are these two cards of Daniel Cormier:

2016 UFC Museum Collection Meaningful Material #DCO
2016 Topps UFC Top of the Class Black #TOC7

DC trains right down the street from my place and is one of my favorite UFC fighters.  He's also currently the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion and is set to fight Anthony Johnson again in two weeks.  The two fought two years ago for the vacant title after Jon Jones had his title stripped from him.  Johnson has the ability to knock out DC, but hopefully Cormier will wear him down like he did the first time and retain the title.

Thank you Chris for this very generous care package!  Spring Break will be coming up in a few weeks and when it arrives, I'll make sure to ship some cardboard in your direction.

Until then... happy Saturday and sayonara!

5 comments:

Adam said...

I've seen some Dash Chisako matches from her appearances in Chikara's King of Trios tournaments and she's great.

Man said...

Survivor at Six Flags over the Midwest-yep I was there

RAZ said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the cards. I like it when I can find something that fits into someone else's collection.

RAZ said...

Also, one of my favorite versions of Eye of the Tiger is this cover by Leo Moracchioli and Rob Lundgren: https://youtu.be/G6r1dAire0Y

Fuji said...

adam - i'll have to look her up on youtube and check her out for myself.

b man - nice. i picture them touring state and county fairs these days. who knows maybe they'll pass through the bay area in the near future

raz - thanks again for the cards. that cover was awesome, but i closed the window and just listened to the song, b/c that guy's eye was freaking me out.