30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Sports Card Karma

Yesterday... one of my leadership students and I were walking around the campus running errands when she slipped on an orange peel.  She sort of did the splits without actually hitting the ground and my immediate reaction was to laugh.  I know... I'm a terrible teacher.

Luckily... she has an excellent sense of humor and she started laughing too.  But after a few steps... I realized that I wasn't very compassionate, so I apologized and asked if she was okay.  She said she was... but that I couldn't get upset if she laughed at me for something in the future.  I told her we had a deal.

Fast forward twenty-four hours... and this afternoon I decided to bust the three boxes I purchased on Thursday.  In total, I spent $110 on the following boxes:  2013 Panini Hometown Heroes, 2014 Topps Pro Debut, and 2015 Topps Pro Debut.

The result was about thirty minutes of entertainment and a healthy reminder to stick to buying singles and avoid busting boxes.  I originally had planned on breaking down each of the boxes, but honestly I'd prefer to not be reminded of just how terrible these boxes were.

So I'll cut to the chase and show off my ten favorite cards from this break.

#1:  2015 Topps Pro Debut #1


Hands down... my favorite card out of the breaks.  It might not be a true rookie card, but it's still pretty cool and one of the few Bryants I own.


#2:  2014 Topps Debut Gold #90


There are only a handful of cards from these three boxes that ended up going into my personal collection.  This is one of them.  I have no idea who Almonte is... but it's serial numbered #50/50... so it has a place in my Prime #'s PC.


#3:  2013 Panini HH Curtain Call Gold #9


I will never complain about pulling an insert of Charlie Hustle and now that Selig is headed to Cooperstown... maybe Rose will soon follow.


#4:  2014 Topps Pro Debut #175 


I pulled three San Jose Giants out of the two Pro Debut boxes, but Derek Law is the one worth mentioning.  He was one of the few pitchers in the Giants' bullpen that shined during the season.


#5:  2013 Panini HH Hometown Signatures #HSMH


The on-card autographs are the main reason I picked up this box and I'm pretty happy to add The Human Rain Delay's signature to my collection.  If you're wondering how he got his nickname, watch this:



#6:  2015 Topps Pro Debut #100


Back to back solid postseasons for Schwarber.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing him play during the regular season next year.


#7:  2014 Topps Pro Debut Manufactured Hat Patch #MH-GP


I was really hoping to pull one of those mascot patches, but I can't complain too much.  At least I pulled a player I had heard of.


#8:  2015 Topps Pro Debut Pennant Patch #PP-JB


If I was a Altoona Curve fan, I would be one happy camper.  Two manufactured relics.  Two Altoona Curves.  Had to do a little research on Mr. Bell... but it looks like he hit a grand slam against the Cubs in his second MLB at bat.  Looking forward to seeing what this kid can do next season as well.


#9:  2014 Topps Debut #30


I think this might be my first Corey Seager card.  Another non-rookie card, but it's still a nice addition to my collection.


#10:  2013 Panini HH Hometown Signatures #HSTB/#HSOZ


Can't say I'm a huge fan of either of these guys... but I enjoy on-card autographs.  Pulled my second Panini expired redemption card this week.  Mr. Zakwin told me that they'll honor all redemption cards, so that's something to look forward to.  I'll keep you posted.

Well... there you have it.  These eleven cards were the cream of the crop from $110 worth of boxes.  Yeah... I know.  Kinda rough.  But that's karma for you.  If there's a lesson in today's post... it's don't laugh at someone when they slip the day before you're planning on busting boxes.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

Extra Innings


A few weeks ago, Uncle Tiny reached out to me and asked if I could use this card.  Normally, I'd pass on it... since I'm not a huge fan of multiple player relic cards.  However... one look at Jarrod Parker's swatch changed my mind.

Thanks Uncle Tiny!  I'll ship out your holiday package next weekend when I'm finally on holiday break.

8 comments:

Adam Kaningher said...

Nothing Hargrove was doing looked that out of the ordinary, compared to today's game. In all honesty that was a pretty quick at-bat for a full count.

RAZ said...

It stinks when a break doesn't go well. It always kind of puts me into a hobby funk for a bit.

Matt said...

Yes, Panini are the best with redemptions

Rob said...

I'm replaying the 1984 season right now using Statis Pro, and both Hargrove and Brunansky played that season, so I was unusually excited for you to have those two autos, lol...

Jon said...

If you're not overly attached to that Gregory Polanco hat patch, I would be more than happy to come with some sort of adequate compensation for it.

Commishbob said...

I haven't broken many boxes in my time and when I have I've never said 'Well that was worth what I paid for it'.

Man said...

I understand as I sit here shopping for boxes!

arpsmith said...

I am leaning the same way with box breaks vs. buying individual cards. I did pick up 3 boxes of Hometown Heroes. If you pulled any SPs from your box, maybe we could work out a trade as I only got 5/40 in my 3 boxes.