30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, September 19, 2016

It Pays to Comment

If you're a blogger and you're like me, then you love it when someone leaves a comment on a post.  It's like being in 5th grade all over again and finding a note from the girl you like in your Pee Chee folder.  Okay... maybe I'm getting a little carried away... but all joking aside... it's nice to see that someone has taken the time to read your post and reply.

Johnny over at Johnny's Trading Spot must feel the same way.  Earlier in the year he held a contest and apparently I was one of the winners, because I took the time to leave a comment on one of his posts.

That's not really a chore, because I really enjoy his Shadow Shots series and of course reading all of the posts involving the Big Deal he acquired back in May.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, do yourself a favor and head over there.  I have never seen so many cool oddball issues before.  He's been slowly sifting through his epic haul and he's taking his readers along for the ride.

Here's a quick snapshot at the goodies he has so generously shared with me:


He sent me a medium sized flat rate box filled to the brim with stuff.  There were hundreds of Oakland Athletics cards in these newspaper wrapped packs.  

Here are a few of the ones that made it into the binders:


There was even one of those Topps Oakland A's Surf Detergent books from the 80's:


If you're not familiar with these books, they're really cool.  It includes a photo of every regular issue Athletics card produced by Topps from 1952 to 1987.  But one of my favorite things about this book is the list of every single player who ever wore an Athletics jersey.  I never realized that guys like Jay Johnstone, Lenn Sakata, and Johnnie LeMaster donned the green and gold.

Johnny also added some cool oddballs for my Japanese PC:


Here are two 1993 Takara team sets.  These were part of a baseball game, which according to Cardboard Connection is similar to Strat-O-Matic.


Another cool item he included was this Yomiuri Giants postcard set.  I think it's from the 90's based on some of the other stuff that Johnny sent, but I could be wrong.

He also included some unopened packs of 1995 Godzilla trading cards that seem to be from Japan:



Maybe one of these days, I'll finally get around to posting something over on A Pack to Be Named Later. When I do... I'll probably choose one of these packs, because I'm dying to see what the cards look like.


Rounding out the contest winnings are these three Zatch Bell spell books:


I have no idea what these are, but I'll probably open one and check out the special card that's included inside... then hand the other two out to my students as prizes.

Thank you Johnny for this generous prize package.  I had a lot of fun looking through everything two weekends ago.

Okay... time for me to pay it forward.  Next weekend, I'll be going to a card show at the Serramonte Mall.  It's actually more of a collectibles show with ten to twenty card dealers.  Anyways anyone who leaves a comment down below will be entered into this Pay It Forward/It Pays to Comment Contest.

What do you win?  Well... I'll spend at least $20 on stuff for your PC, so do me a favor and include a list of teams (or players) you collect in the comment section.

When does the contest end?  Let's wrap things up by Friday at 9am PST.   I'll reveal the winner in my Friday (or Saturday morning) post.

That's it.  Happy Monday and sayonara!

31 comments:

Josh D. said...

Awesome! It pays, indeed. :-) Thanks for the contest!
(KC Royals - any players, any years // NFL - Kurt Warner)

Angus said...

Sure, I'm in. As you know, I collect the Browns but I guess I'll take Mets cards if you can't find any Browns.

shoeboxlegends said...

I'm always on the lookout for Red Sox and/or Hartford Whalers hockey cards!

Commishbob said...

I'm a firm believer that the higher you are on the list of comments the better your chances in a contest like this. I feel good about this one.

I have a couple of the Orioles versions of the Surf book. They are great.

The Lost Collector said...

Great concept! I like the Pay it Foward idea.

Yanks, as you know.

Tony L. said...

Very cool, Fuji -- and thank you for the contest.

If I win, please buy Yanks for The Lost Collector, since I'm pretty sure I owe him cards. :-)

defgav said...

Thanks for the contest! I'd take anything baseball that's cool.

Nick said...

I'm in! Really up for anything baseball that catches your eye when it comes to this contest, but I guess as far as specifics go I'd go for some Cubs.

Adam said...

I'll go for a contest. This sounds fun.

Right now I'm looking for Indians, Bengals, and vintage hockey if possible.

Mark Hoyle said...

OutThanks for the contest. Bosox of course

Nachos Grande said...

I'm a Reds fan, especially Barry Larkin. Thanks for the contest.

Matt said...

I feel the same way. It's disappointing when nobody comments as I get a lot of those days bit it's to be expected if you don't have the right content for the crowd. I do get jealous of those I read sometimes get many comments but I still post daily cause its fun.

Thanks for the chance.

I collect
Griffey jr, NY Giants, Rodney Hampton, 90's Spx sets.

Billy Kingsley said...

I'll enter. I collect NBA and NASCAR, it doesn't matter who or what set, I like them all. I like getting comments too. I am looking forward to seeing the Godzilla cards on APTBNL

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

billy e-mail me. johnnys trading spot

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Mark count me in! You are welcome for the package. BTW that was for 2 "secret" contests I never mentioned to see who commented the most in January and again in February. The newspaper wrapped stuff was some A's I had long ago packed up for you as part of a card dump. I'm glad you had some fun with it. Thanks for your contest , uhhh Braves or set build needs, or one of the 400 player collections I have, lol.

Mike Matson said...

I had a Jays version of the Topps book. I almost would have liked to see an O Pee Chee version as well.. An Expos version would have been cool too

Tony Burbs said...

I'll bite (Cubs are my game)! I'd be lying if I said I didn't get all giddy whenever I see a new comment.

Unknown said...

Love the paying forward idea!
Winnipeg Jets are my team. Mark Scheifele is my PC.

KO Rob said...

Cool. Love a contest! I'm big into basketball cards, A's, and hockey goalie cards.

Swing And A Pop-up said...

Red Sox please...and I have the Red Sox version of that book. Very cool.

The Big Kahuna said...

That was pretty awesome. Yes it's great to be back! Mets, Blue Jays, or NY rangers!

RAZ said...

I guess I'll add to the comment train. I collect a lot of stuff. I like the Houston Astros, Houston Rockets, Denver Broncos, comic paraphernalia, Star Wars, wrestling, and NASCAR, to name a few. I go through periods where I don't comment much at all on other blogs, and other times when I try to comment all over the place. I think I probably comment more when my employer unblocks the Blogger domain on the web filter. They block it, then they unblock it, then they block it, then they unblock it...

gcrl said...

Card shopping by proxy is always a good thing, so I'm in for the contest (dodgers, as you know)
And please do open one of those Godzilla packs - I'm curious, too!

night owl said...

Wooooooooooooooo ... moooore contests!!!!!!!

Dodgers, as if you really had to ask.

BobWalkthePlank said...

Thanks Fuji! Pirates and WVU.

JWillden27 said...

Fisk, mostly, and Red Sox. Thanks.

SumoMenkoMan said...

I love the Japanese stuff. Sign me up..any Japanese players or fun stuff.

Unknown said...

Cool Fuji..

Love the contest

Oh yeah, Tigers, Braves and Mets.

Trevor P said...

I'm in; this is a great idea. I collect Packers, Cubs, and All-Decade NFL players, primarily. My want list is here: http://bumpandruncards.blogspot.com/p/want-list.html

TSHenson said...

You are awesome Fuji! Your blog is one of the best out there. I collect the Cleveland Indians and Pittsburgh Steelers!

Fuji said...

Sport Card Collectors - Love your blog.. especially the ones that have hobby questions. Sorry I haven't been able to read and leave comments on most of your posts lately. Life has been pretty crazy ever since my laptop incident... now that I need to rebuild my curriculum. I'll be stopping by every now and then though.

Billy Kingsley - I will definitely try to get that Godzilla post up by Christmas.

John Miller - Thanks again for the two "secret" contests. That's such a great idea. Might need to borrow it.

The Big Kahuna - Glad to see your writing again. Haven't had a lot of free time, but I look forward to reading your posts when I do.

RAZ - I totally understand. I've been having a lot of cold streaks myself. And my employer blocks Blogger too. It's really a shame, because I think it'd be cool to start up a class blog.

TSHenson - Thanks for the kind words.