30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, January 26, 2015

Card Collecting = Excellent Workout

This weekend I met up with Father Time at the Serramonte Sports Cards, Toys, & Collectibles Show in Daly City.  He reminded me that I'm not getting any younger and that mixing a pair of yoga classes with a handful of dime box dealers will leave you with very, very, very sore muscles.  

Who knew that standing around and sifting through cards are such effective forms of exercise?


Anyways I ended up spending a little more than I originally budgeted, but that's because there were so many amazing dime box gems.  Here are just a few of the highlights:


I couldn't believe my eyes when I stumbled across a stack of vintage stars in one guy's dime box.  I ended up buying everything he had:


Vintage collectors should be able to spot the good stuff in my box of dime box purchases above.


One of the dime box dealers, had some really cool cards in his dollar bin.  I ended grabbing thirty-two cards from him.


Some of them were for a few blogger care packages.  I don't want to ruin the surprise, so I'll refrain from showing them off.  But here are a few of the ones for my own collection:


I honestly never thought I'd see the day when I'd see rookie cards of Jeter, Clemens, and Puckett for a buck.  I even found a pair of Gwynns:


The Fleer rookie has a big crease in the bottom left corner, but the 1984 Topps Tiffany and 1997 Bowman's Best Refractor made up for that.


I have a few friends who set up at the show and one of them had a bunch of wax boxes from the 90's.  They're kind of hard to see, but if you look closely in the above photo they're next to the Superman poster.  I grabbed this box for $5:

1990 Pacific Legends

Sure it's from the Junk Wax Era, but at least it's not 1991 Score or 1992 Fleer.  I'm looking forward to busting this box the next time I get the wax pack itch.


Another buddy of mine had a dollar table, so I picked up a handful of memorabilia cards.  Yeah... I'm one of those guys who still buys relic cards.  Well... if the price is right at least.


And finally... I'll wrap things up with the handful of higher priced singles I purchased from yet another friend.


In the spirit of Super Bowl week, I picked up a five card rookie card lot of Russell Wilson and a beautiful on-card autograph of Eddie Lacy:

2013 Strata Clear Cut Rookie Relic Auto #CCAREL

The six card lot was pretty pricey... $40.  But my buddy usually hooks me up with some great deals and it's important to give back every now and then.  I'm especially excited to add the Lacy to my collection.  It's my very first autograph of his.

Overall I was happy with the show.  I'm not sure what the deal is... but the dime boxes were loaded with amazing value this time around.  Nick... you would have been in Cardboard Heaven.  Had my legs not given out on me... I probably could have found another $10 to $20 more worth of dime cards.

Well that's all for now.  Have a great week everyone.  Happy Monday and sayonara.

17 comments:

Section 36 said...

Those are some amazing finds! Clemens rookies for a buck...do it every time!

Daniel Wilson said...

Wow! Great haul! That 84 Fleer Strawberry is awesome!

Anonymous said...

it's both fantastic and sad that you can find Gwynn, Clemens, Strawberry and Puckett RC's for a buck...nonetheless, great pick ups by you and great job on the card show box digging!

Nick said...

Did you seriously find a Goose Gossage rookie for a dime? That's it, I'm on the next plane to California.

Yankeejetsfan said...

Very sweet pick ups Fuji.

Mark Hoyle said...

The Rice and Evans rookies for a buck. Great deal

Play at the Plate said...

Unbelievable vintage for that price!

The Lost Collector said...

Very nice haul, Fuji!

night owl said...

All the cards really are in California.

Reds Card Collector said...

Clemens and Puckett rookies for a buck, that's unpossible!

BobWalkthePlank said...

Posts like this may cause a riot.

Jason Presley said...

Seriously, are you being paid by the California Tourism Bureau for these kinds of posts?

"Come to California, where the streets are paved with cheap, vintage baseball cards, and the bargains go on forever!"

I guess, if nothing else, it helps offset the gas prices.

Zippy Zappy said...

Work those thumbs.

Fuji said...

My thoughts exactly. I kept thinking... what's our hobby come to when you can find HOF rookie cards for 100 pennies? It could be a blessing or a curse depending on your point of view.

Fuji said...

Lol... yeah. I was stoked to find that. These dime boxes were insane. I just wish I were in better shape.

Fuji said...

I wish. The crazy thing about those dime vintage cards were that I almost passed them up. I was on my way out and I noticed a guy's box that I hadn't sifted through. I was so tired, I was about to keep walking. Thankfully I stopped. One of the greatest dime boxes ever.

1967ers said...

That might be the greatest dime box in the history of ever.