30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, August 1, 2014

Flea Market Finds #67: I've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'


It might be the summer heat.  Maybe it's the dwindling storage space for stuff I really don't need.  Perhaps it's the lack of quality finds over the past few months.  Or could it be that I've lost the motivation?

Whatever it is... I just haven't been interested in flea markets lately.  Sadly... it's easily the most popular topic on this blog.  My Flea Market Finds posts garner nearly 50% more views than other posts.  But just like you can't force a woman into loving you.  You can't force a guy into loving the swap meet.


With that being said... I told myself to get up and walk around the flea market yesterday.  The weather (@ 8:30am) and exercise were nice, but I walked away with only one thing in my backpack.

When:  Thursday, July 31st
Where: Capitol Flea Market
What: Vintage Mad Magazine
How Much?: $1

Purchase #1:  Mad Magazine #196 $1


When I saw this on a guy's table, the adrenaline started pumping and I got excited.  Mad Magazine was my favorite thing to read when I was a kid and this particular issue is awesome.  I did a quick eBay search and was prepared to spend up to four bucks, but was even more giddy when the guy told me I could have it for a buck.

Unfortunately... that's the only thing I walked away with.  I saw several dealers with sports memorabilia, but either the price wasn't right or it was stuff I didn't want.  I'm giving the flea market one more chance tomorrow, since my buddy asked me to go.  But don't be surprised if you see less and less Flea Market Finds posts on this blog.  I've just lost that lovin' feelin'.

Happy Friday and sayonara!

17 comments:

Mark said...

Very cool find. I've been trying to cut back on the flea market trips. I always tend to find *something*, but I'm well past the point of having the space to even display the stuff I already have, let alone new additions.

Tony L. said...

It's just like buying new cards or collecting generally -- sometimes you have to step away for a while to let the desire, the interest, the spark come back. It's better to take a few weeks/months off and then see if you miss it than to try to force something.

Mark Hoyle said...

Mad magazine rules. I have a friend of mine in his 40's still has a subscription to the magazine.

Hackenbush said...

Bummer about the flea markets. I have a box of Mad's from the 1970's. I'd probably take a buck a piece for them at this point. $1 CHEAP.

Swing And A Pop-up said...

Totally in agreement with the "no room for stuff I really don't need" angle.

Commishbob said...

Like several have said, sometimes stepping back from some purchases is a good thing. Lately I've taken to putting items on my watch list or 'in my cart' at online places I buy from and going back in a day or too with a fresh perspective. More often than not I've decided that I really didn't need it.

That's why I have so few 'new' things to blog and am digging up old postcards and stuff.

Comatoad said...

Great pick-up. I used to love reading Mad Magazine. I don't know if you've noticed, but have you seen actor/director Ronnie Howard lately? He looks just like Alfred E. Neuman.

Yankeejetsfan said...

I've been feeling the exact same way lately. I'm starting to run out of room with all the stuff i'm picking up. I find myself walking away from things I'd normally pick up at flea markets and I've been walking away, leaving empty handed.

Fuji said...

It's pretty crazy how fast things accumulate. Wish I would have come to this decision five years ago ;-)

Fuji said...

Great advice. I hope the desire comes back quickly. Walking around flea markets has always been one of my favorite things to do.

Fuji said...

A few years ago, one of my students had a fundraiser for something and he was selling magazine subscriptions. I bought a Mad Magazine one. Outside of that... I don't think I have bought a new issue since the mid 80's.

Fuji said...

If shipping wasn't crazy... I'd probably take them off your hands. That sounds like a lifetime of bathroom reading.

Fuji said...

It's good to hear that I'm not alone.

Fuji said...

I need to try adding things to my "cart" and letting things stew for a few days. Great strategy. As for those postcard posts... they're awesome. Keep 'em coming.

Fuji said...

Lol. After wrapping up these comments, I'm off to Google Mr. Howard.

Fuji said...

I've been doing that for several months now. But the "lack of enjoyment" feeling is completely new. Hopefully things will change in the near future.

Fuji said...

Oh yeah. I can see it.