30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Domo Arigato: Starting Nine

When it rains... it pours.  This week I received three care packages in the mail.  Max over at Starting Nine hooked me up with a nice assortment of Oakland Athletics and Japanese athletes.  Here are a few of the cards that stood out:


Starting from the left... you have a 1985 Topps WWF Mr. Fuji wrestling card.  When I was younger, my friends would tease me about being related to him and it would get under my skin.  These days... I'd take it as a complement.

Max also hooked me up with some sweet Oakland Athletics.  That 2002 Topps Super Teams card of Reggie, Sal, Rollie, and Catfish is one of the coolest base cards I've seen.  I have officially added the complete 146 card base set to my eBay watch list.  And the bat card is my first memorabilia card of the standout designated hitter who once hit .321 and 22 bombs for my Athletics.

Wrapping things up is the only Japanese born person to ever play on an NBA team.  Although he stuck around in the states for several years, he returned to Japan in 2008 after only playing in a total of four regular season NBA games.  Oh well... he's still part of the NBA history books.

Thanks Max!  I appreciate the package.  As soon as I finish sorting and organizing my collection, I'll get put together some Mets cards for you.  But you might need to be patient.  I'm a little behind and still need to get my prize packages out from last month's contest.  Stay tuned.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

3 comments:

Yankeejetsfan said...

I love Mr. Fuji. I remember when he and Don Muraco tried to become actors and had a segment on WWF programming. Fuji Vice used to crack me up.

Great cards.

Wes Moore the former JBF said...

My fave was fuji general. The original rock and fuji were hilarious

Fuji said...

I've got to track down some of the old school matches on YouTube. My first recollection of Mr. Fuji was when he managed George The Animal Steele.