30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, July 21, 2014

Yeah... That's The Ticket!

It started with the idea of consolidating three 5,000 count monster boxes, but has evolved into the organization of nearly 45,000 cards.  Sadly... I'm not finished and it's already been two weeks and probably thirty to forty hours of sorting.  Can you say, Pandora's Box?

The good news is my office will be less cluttered when I'm finally finished and I'll have a firmer grasp of my cardboard inventory.  Plus I've uncovered a bunch of cards that I had forgotten about during the process.

Last week, I came across a quartet of holograms that are paired up with some wannabe ticket stubs in one of the boxes:


The cards/ticket stubs were produced by a company called Silver Star/Field of Vision back in 1991.  As you can see, each ticket stub/hologram commemorates a key moment from the 1991 season, like Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter and Rickey Henderson's 939th stolen base.


The company followed up them up with an additional four that included:  Will Clark, Roger Clemens, Darryl Strawberry, and the Rawlings Gold Glove Award.  Maybe one of these days I'll find someone at the flea market who has the final four.




Speaking of flea markets, that's where I found these.  I bought them for $5.  At the time it felt like a good deal.  I remember selling these for $10 to $20 each when I worked at a card shop in the early 90's.  These days, Beckett lists the four cards combined at only $8.  Oh how the mighty have fallen.


Well that's it for now.  I'll be sharing more of my finds with you in the near future.  Until then...

Happy Monday and sayonara!

8 comments:

Tony L. said...

Isn't half the fun of having a collection of cards going through them and looking at them? Great finds!

Swing And A Pop-up said...

I feel your pain. I've been sorting my collection for the past two years and I keep buying cards, so it feels like I'm going nowhere. But like Tony said, it is fun going through them and looking at them.

Fuji said...

Lol. I'd have to say "yes" and "no". I love going through a few hundred at a time. But going through thousands... and I mean "thousands" is pretty overwhelming. Plus I'm OCD and don't like things disorganized... and right now, my office (and part of my hallway) is a disaster zone.

When I'm finally finished, I'll be happy. But right now... it's pretty stressful and not a whole lot of "fun". But at least I'm stumbling across cards I forgot I owned.

Fuji said...

That's the other thing... my "to be sorted" stacks continue to grow exponentially. I wish I could just stop... but I have a buddy who is constantly finding deals on Craigslist. So it seems like every couple of weeks, he has stuff for me to buy. I need to demonstrate "self discipline" and just say "no".

Yankeejetsfan said...

I'm doing the same thing. I'm going through boxes upon boxes of cards filled with Yankees, Jets, Knicks and Islanders cards. It's a long process and it will be a while before I'm done. It's frustrating, fun and exciting all at once.

The Lost Collector said...

These are cool! I love holograms. Would love to see them in a modern set.

Fuji said...

I'm glad you're enjoying. I hope you finish sooner... than later. Best of luck.

Fuji said...

Yeah. It's one of things I miss most about the 90's.