30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, April 21, 2014

Swapping Stuff at the Swap Meet

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend.  As usual... I spent part of mine at two flea markets.

On Saturday, I set up at the Branham High School Flea Market with a couple of my buddies.  I brought some boxes of cards that were gathering dust, some books and DVD's, a bunch of brand new aquarium supplies, and a box of Bay Area sports memorabilia that didn't exactly fit my collection.

I ended up taking home a lot of the stuff I brought, but I was able to sell most of the DVD's and a couple of boxes of cards.  Plus I traded the box of memorabilia to my buddy, because he wanted some fresh items for the 18th Annual San Francisco TRISTAR Collector's Show that's taking place next week.

The key items in the box were a pair of 49ers Super Bowl programs, a 1997 NHL All-Star Game program, and some San Francisco Giants ticket stubs.

In return... he traded me the following items:


Casey Stengel Business Card

I can't seem to find any information about this card, but it's a unique oddball of one of the greatest managers in MLB history.

2011 Topps Triple Threads Relic #TR111

My buddy had a bunch of A's, Giants, and 49ers rookie cards in his display case... but the main card that caught my attention was this Jim Plunkett relic.  He's a Bay Area boy and was one of my father's favorite players when I was a kid... so this will make a fine addition to the collection.


I don't stumble across Golden Seals memorabilia on a daily basis, so I also targeted this vintage decal.  It goes well with the stack of vintage California Golden Seals cards Mr. Hoyle sent me last week.

Finally, I grabbed a handful of oddball sets.


First up... the 1991 Heisman Collection Series One set.  The 21 card set highlights popular Heisman Trophy winners like: Tim Brown, Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, and Jim Plunkett.  There are randomly inserted autographs in this product, but the odds are tough:  one autograph inserted into every fifty sets.  Odds are that I'll just keep my set sealed for now.

1992 Manning 1919 Black Sox Reprint Set

My buddy had a ton of these sets, so I took three.  Up until recently... I had never seen these before, but if you're interested... I found a nice write-up over at Pack Addict.

1994 Post Sets

And wrapping things up are these three sets of 1994 Post Cereal.  These cards were originally issued in three card cellophane packs inserted into specially marked boxes of Post cereal.  I've always been a fan of oddballs, but do I really need three of these sets?  Probably not.  That's why I'll be giving the extra sets away in a future contest.


In the end, I'm pretty sure I got the short end of the stick in terms of monetary value.  But I'm okay with that.  My buddy makes a living off of selling memorabilia and I don't.  And in the end, I was able to get rid of stuff that doesn't fit my collection, while boosting a couple of my PC's and finding a pair of items to giveaway all of you who support my blog.

Stay tuned.  In my next post, I'll show off some of the goodies I picked up with the money I earned from my flea market profits.

Until then... happy Monday and sayonara!

12 comments:

Mark Hoyle said...

Love the Seals decal.... I think I have a Seals sticker for you

BobWalkthePlank said...

That Plunkett is a sharp looking card!

JediJeff said...

Those Manning Black Sox have a permanent home on Listia. There always seems to be a set up for "sale".

Commishbob said...

Wow, Fuji, a lot to like here. The Casey business card and the Golden Seals decal are really neat items. How many of either of those could be floating around?

That Heismann set. I bought a couple of them through the company when they came out. I bought the second series and yearly update for a year or so until they quit making them I think. I got an autograph in each set, Archie Griffin in one and George Rogers in the other. I must have been extremely lucky to pull that off if they were 1 in 50 or maybe I got the Rogers in the second series I can't remember now. I got Andre Ware to sign his card, too.

Maybe one of these days you can scan more of that Black Sox set. I half-ass collect stuff featuring that team but I've never seen that set.

Man said...

You know you are old when you can remember the Seals.

Swing And A Pop-up said...

Is California the flea market state?

Fuji said...

Man... I wish COMC would hurry up and update their site. I need to find some Red Sox for you ASAP. I still owe you for those vintage Seals you sent last week.

Fuji said...

Totally agree. I'm the furthest thing from being a Raiders fan, but I love that card.

Fuji said...

It's probably my buddy. He has about 20 more sets ;-)

Fuji said...

Man... you sure did beat the odds. Awesome pulls. Archie Griffin is near the top of my autograph wish list. As for the Black Sox set... I'll definitely do that for you. In the meantime you can see a few of the cards here:

http://packaddict.blogspot.com/2009/07/1992-tntl-1919-black-sox-team-set.html

Fuji said...

Brady - Stop rubbing it in ;-)

Fuji said...

These posts can be deceiving. What I don't write about is the amount of time invested in walking around these flea markets. I go out every Sunday for three to four hours (mainly for the exercise) and half the time walk away with nothing special.