30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Quest For The Holy Gwynn

Is over.

1982 TCMA Hawaii Islanders #10

I heard about this card in the early 90's and have dreamed about owning it ever since.  In all honesty... I never thought I'd end up getting one.  In fact, I didn't even have it written down on my top ten list.

In cardboard terms... they aren't necessarily scarce, however they're not exactly plentiful either.  Ten to twenty might pop up on eBay in a given year.  Throw in the fact that I'm Mr. Frugal and the combination meant that I might wait a lifetime to add the card to my collection.


Then I happened to stumble across the entire twenty-five card 1982 TCMA Hawaii Islanders minor league set on eBay a few weeks ago.  I missed out on a complete set in August, so I threw in a respectful bid into my sniper program and waited with my fingers crossed.

When the dust settled... nineteen bids had been placed with my name on top and I couldn't be more excited.  Tony Gwynn's first officially licensed trading card has finally found a home in my San Diego Padres collection.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the sweet addition. I recently added a grail of mine too.

night owl said...

That card is too cool. Glad you finally landed it.

defgav said...

Yes, thee Gwynn card! I shelled out for that set last year. Taking a peek at the completed auctions, I didn't get as good of a deal as you did, but at least did better than the $250 Buy it Now that sold a few days later. I still have mine in the team bag it came in.. need to screw that puppy down!

JediJeff said...

Crap - why did I click the picture? Now I have to find that Lancellotti card. Nice pickup, though.

The Lost Collector said...

Sweet card!

unclemoe said...

Awesome!

Comatoad said...

Very nice pick-up. I have a copy of the Gwynn card I picked up awhile ago, but to have the entire set...Priceless.

Jason Presley said...

Great catch! There's actually a pretty good percentage of Major Leaguers in that set.

Dhoff said...

What a slim Islander.

Greg Zakwin said...

congrats on the White Whale get!

Play at the Plate said...

Very nice Fuji, congrats!

Ana Lu said...

You were looking for a single card and ended up with the entire set. That's the finding you always want to happen!

Fuji said...

Wow... that's the most "completed auction" 1982 Hawaii Gwynns I've seen in a long time.

Fuji said...

Yeah... that was a bonus. I would have settled for the Gwynn itself, but I'm not complaining.

Fuji said...

Lol... I know.

Fuji said...

Thanks guys. I'm very excited to finally have this card in the collection.