30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Flea Market Finds #24: Vintage Magazine, Wax Boxes, & a Classic Set

When:  Saturday, October 6th
Where:  De Anza Flea Market
What:  a Vintage Magazine, a pair of Wax Boxes, and a Classic Set
How Much?:  $13

Last Saturday, I set up with my buddy at the flea market for the first time in three months.  He took care of the autographed memorabilia, while I handled the cardboard.  Usually, I walk away with an extra $20 to $50 in my pocket, while he usually doubles or triples my sales.

But not this time.  I had the best day (in terms of sales) since I started this little venture.  Half of my sales went to one couple, who bought a bunch of my memorabilia cards and rookie cards for their card shop.

So with a few extra dollars in my pocket to spend, I decided to do a little shopping for myself.  Here's a look at my haul:


Purchase #1:  1992 Classic World Class Athletes Set $2


Okay, it's not really a classic set.  But it's an overproduced set from Classic Games, Inc and one that has been on my want list for awhile now.  Why would I want this set?  Well... it has a lot of really cool athletes who aren't featured in a lot of sets.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Oscar De La Hoya, Michael Chang, and Jennifer Azzi


Carl Lewis, Janet Evans, and Muhammad Ali

Unfortunately, if you look closely... you'll see that the cards are all damaged.  The UV coating used on the card to originally protect them, ultimately damaged them.  When I busted the set open, all of the cards stuck together.  But I can't complain too much, since the price was right.


Purchase #2:  1991 Topps Desert Storm Boxes (Series 1 and Series 2) $6



Three dollar wax boxes?  A piece of American history?  Seventy-two packs of entertainment?  You know I couldn't pass this opportunity up.


Purchase #3:  The Ring Magazine (July 1967) $5



This is easily my favorite purchase of the day.  Boxing may have taken a back seat for me in recent years, but this 45 year old magazine has three of the greatest boxers to enter the ring on its cover.  I'm very excited to add this to my collection.

Okay... you know the routine.

In your eyes, how'd I do?  Good, bad, or somewhere in the middle?

Happy Hump Day and sayonara!

6 comments:

JediJeff said...

Two Ali purchases, totaling $7?? Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

SpastikMooss said...

Nothing that would've really drawn me in, but the prices seem good for what you got! So I'd say in the middle, closer to good if the buyer wasn't myself haha.

Spiegel83 said...

Anytime you set up a table and make some cash, it is a good day.

Commishbob said...

Those desert Storm cards were fun to collect. The kids in my school loved them.

The inclusion of a Muhammad Ali card in any purchase makes it a winner. That card alone would have signified a successful trip.

Captain Canuck said...

Pretty cool pickups. I'd love a set of Desert Storm myself, and any 45 y/o mag with Ali is a winner.

deal said...

Winners all around - I picked up one of the World Classic sets for cheap somewhere along the line - same story - all cards stuck together, but well worth it for entertainment value.