Monday, September 2, 2024

Particular & Peculiar

Collecting birthday related items is nothing new to the blogosphere... but to friends and family it can come off as peculiar.

This year I added a few items to my Birthday PC...

Let's start off with an Olympic ticket stub from the day I was born:

1972 Olympic Volleyball Ticket Stub

According to Wikipedia there were two women's and three men's matches held that day.  Although all of these matches were part of the preliminary rounds, it did feature a pretty notable match.  In men's volleyball, Japan beat East Germany.  Eight days later, they'd meet again in the gold medal matchJapan won again.

This is my second Olympic ticket from that day.  Last year, I won this one on eBay:

1972 Olympic Rowing Ticket Stub

I attempted to look up which rowing events took place that day, but there were just too many to keep track of.  And honestly... I doubt anyone reading this post really cares.

The next two items are cards I picked up on eBay back in February:

1996 Playboy Chromium Cover: Edition 2 #138

1997 Playboy Centerfold Collection: September Edition #55

Both cards feature Susan Miller and the Playboy cover for the September 1972 issue.  According to her IMDB biography, she had a brief acting career and eventually became a massage therapist.

There's one more card I purchased recently for this collection, but it hasn't arrived yet.  And since it's very particular and peculiar... I'll probably just wait until next year to show it off.

In the meantime, here are a pair of Nomo cards I purchased over the summer:

1995 Cal League Bakersfield Blaze #4

1995 Cal League Bakersfield Blaze #29

Hideo Nomo shares the same birthday as my best friend... which happens to be the day before mine.  We celebrated our birthdays together with her family on Saturday.


There weren't any cards or collectibles involved... but the food and company were amazing.

That's it for today.  Hope all of you are enjoying your holiday weekend.  Stay safe.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

14 comments:

Shlabotnik Report said...

Happy belated birthday! I've collected players born on the same day that I was, but I never thought about ticket stubs or magazines. Something to think about...

Bo said...

The Yankees won the day I was born, which I knew since I was a little kid, my mom telling stories about my dad trying to get score updates while she was in labor. A couple of years ago I found footage from that game on YouTube. It was so cool, and kind of eerie, to realize I was being born while this was going on. Your birthdate is during baseball season - maybe there is footage from games on that date available.

That ticket with your birthdate is really cool!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Nothing odd about that at all (at least not for me), I do my annual bday post, have binders for myself, my kids, and grandson too. Happy belated birthday (mine is 2 weeks from today)!
Happy birthday my friend!

POISON75 said...

Happy belated birthday Fuji just imagine if you were born 4 days later you would have shared it with the tragedy that occurred during those games in Munich

Elliptical Man said...

Gotta rep the Cal League and vote for the first Nomo.
Modesto loses our team after next season. : (

Susan had nice legs though.

The Lost Collector said...

Happy birthday! I am a September birthday, myself!

Matt said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!

GCA said...

Oh! 9/1.... At first glance of the Olympic stuff, I thought "We don't have the same birthday...??" Mine is 1/9.

Rebel Coyote said...

Happy be-late birthday. I got a few items that might interest you for your collection

Uncle Charlie's Shoebox said...

Happy Birthday! Lucky it was over a long holiday break as well! Cool project and neat way to collect Memorabilia from that day...

Chris said...

Happy belated birthday! That cake looks decadent, and the Munich Olympic tickets are really neat. It's such a shame that particular Games was overshadowed by tragedy.

Speaking of which, thank you for sharing your personal recollection of the Loma Prieta quake on my blog. It's intriguing to have a firsthand account of that frightening event.

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

"but to friends and family it can come off as peculiar" - this is very relatable... Happy Birthday!

Jon said...

Happy way belated birthday, Fuji! Seems like a lot of bloggers collect birthday related items. I've tried to myself, but just haven't ever been able to get that interested in the subject matter.

Jafronius said...

Much belated happy birthday sir!