30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, April 21, 2024

A Hobby Hazzard

1992 was a big year for me in regards to card collecting.  I worked at the card shop located less than a mile from my parent's house and spent most of my hard earned money on building a master set of 1992 Fleer Ultra baseball.

That didn't leave me with a lot of money to spend on other products that year.  Fast forward three decades and I decided to add another master set of 1992 baseball cards.  This time it was Leaf's turn, but I wouldn't be opening up boxes and trading with card shop customers.  Instead... I headed over to eBay and purchased a complete base set as well as a complete set of the (Black) Gold parallels.

Why Leaf?  Honestly... the gray bordered base cards don't do much for me.  However I've really grown to love those black bordered parallels.  They're beautiful.

Unfortunately when my sets arrived... several of the cards were damaged... hence the title of today's post.

If you utilize binders to store cards or you've been in the hobby long enough, then there's a good chance you've seen cards get pinched between the binder rings and the cover of the binder.  Sadly none of the damaged singles were worthy of my Damaged Card PC, so I don't have an example of what the damage looks like.

Just imagine me closing my binder with my 9-pocket page in this position:


If I'm lucky, the page will slide into position onto of the 2nd page.  The seller wasn't as lucky.  As a result, cards in the 1, 4, and 7 slots were damaged on the first few pages.  Not familiar with those slots, I've numbered them on this page for you:


The purchase took place back in 2021... right before the lockdown.  Since then, I've slowly been marking cards off the wantlist.

1992 Leaf Gold #4
1992 Leaf Gold #7

John over at Johnny's Trading Spot got me two cards closer to completing the set... so now my front page is complete:


I'm now down to only needing four cards for my set build:


The Hudler and Hernandez are sitting in my box over at Sportlots.  I'm waiting on a few more packages before requesting shipment.  By the way, the Sandberg wasn't damaged by the binder.  It was just missing.

For those of you who are wondering how to prevent binder pinching... I use these plastic things that hold the sheets down:


Hopefully you don't have to deal with this issue too often.  At least my encounter with "pinching" involved a cheap Junk Wax Era setCan you imagine this happening with a vintage set?

Thank you John for helping me get two steps closer to completing my 1992 Leaf (Black) Gold set build.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

Overtime

Since I'm writing about set builds... John also hooked me up with two cards that I needed for my 2018 Sport Kings set:

2018 Sport Kings #4
2018 Sport Kings #27

It feels so good to cross names off my list...


Thanks again John!


9 comments:

GTT said...

Good luck with completing 1992 Leaf Black Gold - I've always thought it was a sharp-looking set!

Michael D said...

I don't know why, but I kind of like the grey bordered cards. If I ever get caught up with all of my other stuff, I'd like to build the Leaf set.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

wish I had helped more.

bbcardz said...

Love your thoughtfulness in providing pictures and text regarding binder issues. Those triangular sheet lifters are awesome. Good luck to you on completing that Leaf set.

Fuji said...

gtt - thanks. should be finished soon. i just hate paying several bucks for cards i know will eventually turn up in quarter bins :D

michael d - i don't really have a strong opinion on the gray borders. the good news is if you want to build it, i'm sure you can buy some cheap starter sets out there. heck, i'm guessing you can buy a complete set for around $10


johnnys trading spot - you got me two steps closer. any help is appreciated buddy. thank you.

bbcardz - i ended up buying a bunch of those plastic things. they're now in most of my card binders. there are still a few i need to do, but those sets are sitting in boxes that need to be dug up eventually

flywheels said...

Do you store your binders laying flat or up right? I sometimes lay heavy books on the pages to compact them down a bit before I put them on the shelves. All mine are stored vertically and I haven’t had many issues with pages sagging or snagging in the D-Rings. I have used those “sheet lifters” before and they do come in handy, but now would cost me a small fortune if I were to add them to all my binders.

Jon said...

I've heard of people having this problem in the past, but I myself have never experienced it (*knocks on wood desk*) in all of the years that I've been using binders.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Man, 1992 was such a fun year to collect. Lots of variety in the middle of the junk wax era. Congrats on getting a few steps closer!

Fuji said...

flywheels - most of the sets i own (that are in binders) are stored in boxes, so they're flat. but my player, team, and niche collections are stored up right.

jon - it looks like it's not as big of an issue as originally thought (which is a good thing). i've been "pinched" at least once.

sumomenkoman - 1992 sure was a blast (in regards to cards and other things).
can't believe that it was over 30 years ago.