30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, March 31, 2024

Some of the Sweet Stuff

Happy Easter!  I know today is a very big religious holiday for many of my friends and family members.  When I was a kid... it was more about decorating eggs, baskets of candy, and spring break.

I know this year Topps released some Easter themed parallels in their flagship Series 1 boxes.  But since I haven't opened any... nor have I acquired any of those parallels... I decided to celebrate with some candy related collectibles in my collection.

As an added bonus, I will rate the candy and players featured on the cards/collectibles using a scale of 1 to 10... with 5 being average.


1987 M&M's #23

Candy Rating: 7/10
Player Rating10/10

Peanut Butter M&M's are my favorite, but I don't usually go out of my way to buy them.  On the other hand, I am always looking for new cards of my all-time favorite athlete.


1984 Nestle #300

Candy Rating6/10
Player Rating7.5/10

Not a fan of Nestle Crunch Bars... but I do enjoy 100 Grand... so I'll rank it slightly lower than M&M's.  As for Charlie Hustle... not a fan of the person, but a fan of the player.


1984 Nestle Dream Team #21

Candy Rating6/10
Player Rating9/10

Another Nestle card produced in 1984, but a different set.  I prefer the one that parallels the flagship design.  As for the player, Lefty was my favorite pitcher when I was a kid.


1993 Upper Deck Clark Bar Reggie #C2

Candy Rating?/10
Player Rating7.5/10

Can't remember buying or trying a Clark Bar, but it sounds interesting.  Not sure I'll waste my money or the calories on trying it out though.  On the other hand, I will occasionally go out of my way to buy a new Reggie for the collection.


1992 Topps Triple Headers #NL9 Bonds/Van Slyke/Bonilla

Candy Rating?/10
Player Ratings8/10 Bonds, 3/10 Van Slyke, & 4/10 Bonilla

You're probably wondering how is this candy related.  Well... according to the box it once contained candy:


I'm guessing it contained those Smarties-like tart candies... which I'm not really a fan of.  But since I don't know for sure, the jury is out.  The ball contains two players I don't really collect and one that I do.  Not sure if this ball was ever corrected, but Topps mixed up the facsimile signatures for the Killer B's.


1991 Topps Superstars Stand-Ups Candy #18

Candy Rating2/10
Player Rating10/10

This plastic box featuring Mr. Padre once contained candy too.  Unlike the ball... I've seen the candy that was originally inside of this container.  Yup.  It's those Smarties-like tart candies that I don't like.  It's not quite as bad as Circus Peanuts, but they're pretty bad.


1987 Leaf Candy City Team #H3

Candy Rating5/10
Player Rating6.5/10

This card was part of a collaboration between Leaf and the Special Olympics back in 1987.  Although these cards weren't packaged with candy, people could obtain a three card pack with the purchase of two Leaf candy or gum products.

I had to look up what types of candy Leaf produces.  The only one that I've tried before are the Astro Pops... which were rainbow colored, cone shaped suckers.  I remember buying these as a kid, but don't really have any interest in eating them as an adult.

Roy Campanella is a legend, so I'll add his cards to my collection from time to time.  But to say that I actively seek his cards would be a stretch.


1990 Pacific Chocolate Bar Promo #NNO

Candy Rating?/10
Player Rating10/10

Can't have a candy related post without showing off this candy related card of Gwynn.  Unfortunately, I've never tried one of these.  But if it's equivalent to your standard Hersey's chocolate bar... than I'd rate it a 6/10.  

Well that's all the candy, cards, and collectibles I have for today.  I probably could have dug out a few more, but I'm heading over to my brother's house in less than an hour and don't have the time to dig anymore up.

Happy Easter and sayonara!

11 comments:

Uncle Charlie's Shoebox said...

Happy Easter and neat theme for today.

Those plastic Topps things definitely had smarties like candies and yes, they were gross!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I learned some stuff.

Nachos Grande said...

Happy Easter, great themed post too!

The Lost Collector said...

I was always lucky enough to get cards in my Easter basket. My son was rewarded with a 2024 Topps Super Box alongside his basket this morning.

Elliptical Man said...

I'm guessing the second Gwynn was supposed to be 10 / 10 like the others.

Anyway, voting for Carlton.
That card is part of a Dream Team set which includes Dave Winfield, Dale Murphy, Tim Raines, Ozzie Smith, Mike Schmidt, Lou Whitaker, etc.

The Snorting Bull said...

Love the candy ratings, but I disagree with your M&Ms rating. Those are my go to candy, always 10/10.

Fuji said...

uncle charlie's shoebox - thanks for the confirmation. i'd love to track down the a's and padres balls for my collection one day. the candies intact would be a nice bonus.

johnnys trading spot - hopefully something interesting... and not just what kind of candy i like :D

nachos grande - hope you had a great easter!

the lost collector - nice. i have one of those super boxes waiting for me to open. hope your son pulls something cool out of his

elliptical man - yeah. not sure how that happened, but i fixed it. as for the carlton, i think that's the only card i own from that set.

the snorting bull - reeces peanut butter cups would be my 10/10.

Jafronius said...

Hope you enjoyed your Easter and Spring Break!

Derek said...

There's a picture of the candy here: https://www.tcdb.com/Packaging.cfm/sid/207354/1991-Topps-Triple-Headers

Not planning on eating it!

SumoMenkoMan said...

I love the odd ball cards from the 1980s. I was always chasing them!

Jon said...

Happy belated Easter, Fuji!