30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Multiple Meanings

As many of you know... 2023 was filled with a lot of ups and downs.  It will forever be marred by the loss of my father and my friend Mike in a span of a month.  But it wasn't all bad... these two tragic events brought me closer to my siblings and strengthened the bond between close friends.

The hobby also helped me get through that rough patch by serving as a healthy distraction.  One of the most therapeutic things for me outside of building Lego sets is sorting cards and building sets.  Walking around flea markets and card shows also helped.

Back on Saturday, December 16th... I was able to do both.  Today's post covers a pair of purchases... one from each.  Both of these purchases were BIG... but in different ways.

Let's start with my most expensive hobby purchase of 2023 and a BIG addition to my Ichiro PC:

2023 Finest Flashbacks Auto #183

I was hanging out at the Silicon Valley Card & Collectibles Show at my buddy's table.  And within minutes... my eyes were drawn to this gorgeous card that took me back to the 90's when autographs were on-card and rare.  I wanted it.

Right next to the Ichiro was the other 2001 Rookie of the Year Award winner:

2023 Finest Flashbacks Auto #179

I wanted this card too.  The only problem is my hobby budget doesn't allow for BIG purchases like these.

After watching two other collectors show an interest in the Ichiro, I decided to pull them out of the case and have him hold them for me.


When things settled down... he offered me the pair for $450.  Yeah... that's BIG money (to me).  But a month has passed and there has been zero buyer's remorse.

He tossed in this cool refractor to sweeten the deal:

2000 Topps Chrome Combos Refractor #TC5

I know this particular insert set is polarizing among collectors.  You either love it... or hate it.


I obviously love it!  In 2000, Nomar, Alex, and Derek were the BIG 3 among American League shortstops and although we crossed into the aughts, refractors were still reasonably tough pulls.  These inserts were seeded into 1:80 packs.

The other BIG purchase I made that day took place earlier in the morning at the Branham Flea Market.  I stumbled across a guy with a binder containing a bunch of oversized cards.  He wanted $10 for the binder, but was focused on the quality of the binder itself and not the cards.

So I asked him if he'd take $5 for the pages and cards without the binder.  He accepted.  I had taken a photo of all of the stuff, but accidentally deleted it.  However I did scan the highlights of the purchase which were these BIG inserts and parallels from the 90's before putting them all away.

Since most of you are baseball fans, here's the only baseball card of note:

1995 Score Rules Jumbo #SR25 (#'d 2,489/3000)

This is a BIG (7.5" x 10.5") parallel to the pack inserted counterparts.  Back in 1995, Score produced Baseball Collector Kits that contained twenty-six assorted packs of Score Series 1 and Series 2 baseball, a binder, ten collector pages, and one of these oversized parallels.


Based on how many are available on eBay, they aren't very common... even though 3,000 copies of each card was produced.

The next card was the key to the purchase:

1997 Donruss Studio Stained Glass Stars #15 (#'d 0318/1000)

This BIG acetate insert is gorgeous!   Once I saw this card, I knew I wanted the entire lot.

There were two BIG names featured in the lot:

1997 Donruss Studio 8x10 Gold Portrait Proof #29 (#'d 0115/1000)

1997 Donruss Studio Red Zone Masterpiece #20 (#'d 0853/3500)

The Elway is a BIG addition to my Stanford PC... while the Moon is a BIG Seahawks pickup.

Well that wraps up my two BIG purchases from back in December.  Gotta love multiple meanings... and overpriced and oversized card purchases.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

16 comments:

Xavier Higgins said...

I just had a BIG salad 🥗 in honor of your post.
Hope my care package 📦 reached you safely?
Those Finest Flashbacks were a Gargantuan Bargain in my opinion along with the rest of your haul, I'd say you have clearly emBiggned your collection.
Big Ups Professor!

Jeremya1um said...

Those cards of Ichiro and Pujols are sweet!!! One day I hope to add autos of them to the collection, but that probably won’t be for a while.
I have a binder with the 1995 Score design on it, and I bet that collectors kit is where it came from.

Dennis said...

WOW! Congrats on the big pickups, both literal and figurative! The Ichiro and Pujols are an amazing 1-2 punch and I love the Studio football 8x10s.

That was a nice way to end your 2023 and I hope your 2024 has all of the highs and none of the lows of last year.

Elliptical Man said...

Glad you're happy with your purchases.

The Snorting Bull said...

Congratulations on the big purchases!!! Love that Pujols, Ichiro too.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Ichiro and Pujols are great pickups. Sometimes you have to go out of your comfort zone because otherwise you'll be regretting it for years.

Matt said...

Congrats on the great Ichiro and Pujols cards!

Matt said...

That Ichiro is amazing!!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Regardless of the bigness, those are great additions. If you really want to see an Elway Collection come visit Florida, LOL.

Fuji said...

xavier higgins - nice. i should probably eat salads on a more frequent basis. your care package has indeed reached the bay area. it's sitting in my office, but i haven't opened it up yet. i open up about one care package a week, so i'm hoping to crack it open by super bowl sunday. thanks in advance... i'm sure it's awesome as usual.

jeremya1um - yeah... i'd bet that's where the binder is from. as for those autos, that'll be the last big purchase until i pay off my car. honestly had no intention of spending that kind of dough, but i was caught up in the moment. no regrets though

dennis - 2024 is off to a great start. doubt there will be any highs in regards to purchases like the ichiro and pujols this year. but that's okay. i'll just pull these two cards out and stare at them

elliptical man - me too. nothing worse than buyer's remorse

the snorting bull - it's nice to get them on the same card design... since they started playing in the mlb at the same time

nick vossbrink - yeah, i'm very happy with the purchase. worst case scenario and topps floods the market with autographs of both of these guys. even if that happens, i'm stoked i was able to get them on very shiny and attractive cards

matt - thanks. biggest pc additions in a long time

matt - if i could only purchase one, i would have went with ichiro. always wanted a pack pulled autograph of his

johnnys trading spot - one of these days i hope to make it out there and check out your awesome collection.

Jon said...

I don't think I've even seen an Ichiro autograph before. That's not what I would've thought that his signature looked like though. I bet it it looks really awesome in person too. And I had no idea that there were stained glass cards as early as 1997. That Marino is really cool.

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

Wow, congrats! That IS a big deal. I really like the on-card autos and especially the Topps Certified ones.

Uncle Charlie's Shoebox said...

Nice Ichiro auto...wish I had not gotten out of watching baseball while he was playing. I love small ball good base hit guys! Next year when he gets into the HOF that will be awesome.

carlsonjok said...

$450 is a lot of coin. But, I'd drop it on those two cards also.

Ginko-5 said...

The Ichiro and Pujols are awesome!

If you don't know me, check out my blog
doncardwelllovesthisblog.blogspot.com

Jongudmund said...

Hi Fuji, it's been a minute. I'm so sorry to hear about your losses in 2023. Wishing you all the very best for this year! Jon