30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, February 3, 2023

It's My Special Day

Today teachers and students around the district I work in celebrated the 100th school day of the year.  I've never actually celebrated the occasion, but I know it's something primary school teachers look forward to.

Personally, I didn't even know that today was Day #100 until I started doing homework for this post three weeks ago after I received this card in Reader X's most recent care package:

2022 Topps Allen & Ginter It's Your Special Day! #IYSP-15

I've wanted to add a copy to my Sports Card Smorgasbord binder since the first time I saw it on one of your blogs.


Unfortunately National Teachers Day is three months away and this card is too cool to sit on for that long.  So I had to get creative... and here we are... the hundredth day of school.  Yeah, I know.  It's a pretty big stretch... especially since I don't even celebrate it with my students.  But the theme goes perfectly with another card that Xavier sent me:

2020 Panini Donruss One Hundred #93 (#'d 023/100)

Not the biggest fan of Panini baseball cards with their lack of logos and exorbitant number of parallels.  But Buster's gear has a way of disguising the lack of logos and it is cool when the parallel plays into the theme of the post.

Here are two more numbered Posey cards from his care package:

2021 Topps Chrome Magenta Speckle Refractor #29 (#'d 198/350)
2019 Topps Heritage Chrome #THC-445 (#'d 163/999)

I was hoping to think of an interesting 100 day baseball record, but this will have to suffice...

1975 Topps Mini #330

In 1974, Mike Marshall became the first (and only) pitcher to cross the century mark in MLB games pitched in a single seasonKent Tekulve and Salomon Torres are tied for second with 94 games pitched each.

In December of 2021, Charlie Trippi became the 10th NFL player to live to see his 100th birthday.

Signed 8x10

He passed away this past October, but obviously lived a long, long life.  Wes (aka JayBarkerFan) hooked me up with this photo over a decade ago.

And wrapping up this post is one of the greatest basketball players of all-time:

1992-93 Upper Deck Basketball Heroes #13

On March 2nd, 1962... Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points against the New York Knicks.  Not sure what NBA attendance was like back then, but according to the card back only 4,124 fans were in attendance.  As sad as that sounds... the Oakland A's had less fans in attendance at the Coliseum thirteen times in 2022.

Well that wraps it up for this post... and the workweekThank you Xavier for making my day feel extra special and for helping me out with this very cool addition to my Teacher PC.

As for the rest of you...

What other interesting sports records related to #100 can you think of?

Happy Friday and sayonara!

14 comments:

Jeremya1um said...

Topps could’ve at least asked you to have your photo on the Ginter card! I love that Magenta Speckle card.

Brett Alan said...

Well, A-Rod and Albert Pujols have the most seasons with at least 100 RBI (14 each). But more amazing is Wayne Gretzky's 11 seasons with at least 100 assists, because ALL OTHER NHL PLAYERS COMBINED have only 2 such seasons!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

9/11/20 Shane Bieber stroke out his 100th batter in just 62 2/3rd innings.

Chris said...

I think my daughters' elementary school celebrates the 99th school day of the year. Some of them dress as an elderly(99 year-old) person, for some reason.

Buster Posey cards are some of my favorite Panini baseball issues, since he's the only catcher I sort-of collect. The Wilt 100 card is a great one. I'm trying to think of 100-themed records and I just keep coming back to hockey: Wayne Gretzky needed just 34 games to score his 100th point in 1983-84. Also, the oldest NHL franchise that has never had a 100-point scorer is... the Devils.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Oh neat, never heard of 100th day celebration. Definitely huge respect for teachers!!

Matt said...

If I recall correctly, Nolan Ryan was the first pitcher to throw a pitch recorded at 100 mph!

bamlinden said...

Usain Bolt and the 100m dash

Very cool card. Teachers are the best.

The Snorting Bull said...

As an elementary school teacher, I have never celebrated the 100th Day of the school year, but know many who do. I try to keep my students on their toes by celebrating things like Darryl Strawberry's birthday (long story), randomly making up my birthday (it's during a break), or other odd holidays.

I recently saw a cool 100 RBI fact. In 1985, Tom Herr drove in 110 RBIs for the Cardinals, but only hit 8 home runs. He also spent the entire season batting third behind Vince Coleman and Willie McGee.

The Lost Collector said...

My mind immediately went to Wilt's 100 point game.

My kids' school celebrates the 100th day. They all wear shirts with 100 "somethings" on the them...their choice. Buttons, feathers, etc. I had never heard of it, but they get pretty into it.

RR said...

That teacher's card is cool and the fastest NHL player to reach 100 goals was Mike Bossy with the number of games played during the 1978-79 season.
I did not know that Mike Marshall was the first and only pitcher to pitch 100 games in a single season and that is a very sweet card of him as my favorite Topps baseball set is the 1975 as the colors are beautiful.

Fuji said...

jeremya1um - the sad thing is... if topps asked me to be on a card, i'd probably say no. i'm camera shy :D

brett alan - whoa. that gretzky stat is insane.

johnnys trading spot - holy smokes. that's fast (and impressive)

chris - lol. that's awesome. maybe my middle school should do something like that where the kids dress up like seniors. that gretzky stat where he only needed 34 games to reach 100 points is even beyond video game numbers

sumomenkoman - i don't remember celebrating the 100th day when i was a kid. maybe it's a fairly new tradition (like the past 30 years)

matt - i think you are right. i remember that being a pretty cool thing. these days it seems like there are several guys who reach triple digits on the mound

bamlinden - bolt was amazing. i remember him running and being in awe. i wonder if he has trading cards.

the snorting bull - celebrating strawberry's birthday? that sounds awesome. that herr stat is very cool. he must have loved batting behind those two guys.

the lost collector - that's an interesting idea. you can send your kid to school with 100 baseball cards pinned to their shirt :D

rr - wow. i knew bossy was a goal scoring machine, but i hadn't heard that stat before. very cool. and i'm a big fan of the 1975 topps set too.

Jon said...

Okay, dumb question, what's so significant about the 100th day?

Anonymous said...

I remember so clearly, this dude buying 100 Pat Listach cards for $500 at a card show and hearing him say as he walked away “you’ll see how stupid y’all are.”

He sure showed us.

Darrick

Fuji said...

jon - not 100% sure. but if i had to guess, i'd say the celebration started with kindergartens learning to count to 100. maybe it gives little kids more motivation to learn to count if they know there's a celebration at some point?

darrick - ouch. i'm glad i didn't have that much money to my name back then... otherwise that could have been me.