30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, August 14, 2021

None of That Base Card Junk

Back at the start of my summer break, I signed up for a group break over at Death Stare Cards.  This was definitely an out of character purchase, because group breaks aren't my cup of tea.  Ever since the days of The Bash Brothers, the Oakland A's really have lacked star power in regards to cards... so it's not usually worth it for me to buy them in group breaks.  The same can be said for the San Diego Padres... although Fernando Tatis Jr. puts up a good argument.

However this wasn't your typical group break.  Instead of an unopened box of cards, 1,700 inserts weighing over ten pounds were being sorted by teamsNone of that base card junk.  Teams were $15 each (shipped), but additional teams were only $14 each.

I obviously grabbed the Oakland A's.  Unfortunately PunkRockPaint bought the San Diego Padres fifteen minutes before I arrived.  No biggie.  I picked up the San Francisco Giants instead.


A 200ct. box arrived shortly after I placed my order.  It ended up sitting in my office for weeks until I eventually opened it up.  After going through it... I put the contents back into the box and let it sit some more.  Until today.


In an effort to clean up my office before I head back into the classroom... I went through the contents and picked out my five favorite cards from each team.  However before I reveal them, here's a look at the financial breakdown of this purchase:

Oakland A's: 73 cards ($15/73 = 20.5¢ per card)
San Francisco Giants79 cards ($14/79 = 17.7¢ per card)

The bargain hunter within me typically seeks out these kinds of singles in dime boxes.  But after sifting through these 152 cards, I was more than happy with the results of this group break.

Okay... let's check out my personal favorites.  In an effort to make things more interesting, I decided to mix the five cards from each team and rank them from #10 down to #1.  Here we go...


#10: 2018 Topps Update 1983 Topps Design #83-33


The idea to reuse the 1983 Topps design is lazy... but at least they picked a really cool photoWho doesn't appreciate a new bubble blowing card to collect?


#92013 Topps Opening Day Ballpark Fun #BF-2


Another fantastic photo with Reddick wearing a super cool looking Oakland Oaks jersey with pie all over his face.  Gotta love those walk-off wins by the Athletics back int he early 2010's.  By the way... I heard the Diamondbacks released Reddick.  Was hoping to see him sign with Oakland as they make a push for one of the Wild Card spots, but the Mets grabbed him.


#82010 Topps Walmart Black #410


This looks like another walk-off win card... only this time the hero is Rajai Davis.  Not 100% sure, but my detective work leads me to believe this is from the June 11th, 2009 win over the Minnesota Twins.


#72014 Topps 1989 Topps Die-Cut Minis #TM-10


When the New York Yankees traded Rickey Henderson back to the A's in the summer of 1989... it was like an early birthday present.  I'm a fan of any card that ties together the A's and 1989, but it's even more special when it features Rickey.


#62015 Topps Opening Day Franchise Flashback #FF-10


No idea why Timmy is dressed up... but he looks fantastic.  This card is going straight into my Sports Card Smorgasbord binder.


#52017 Topps Update Storied World Series #SWS-17


1989 was the last time the Oakland A's won the World Series.  Any card highlighting the event will be welcomed into my collection.


#42020 Topps Decades' Best #DB-52 


Yup.  Another 1989 World Series card.  I like this one better than the 2017 Update card because of the design and the celebration photograph with Stan Javier coming over the top.


#31990 Score #701


Technically this card isn't an insert... but I'll let it slide because I absolutely love it.  It's my favorite 1989 World Series card, because it immediately takes me back to that night of the Loma Prieta earthquake.  It was such a scary event, but one of those key moments from my youth.


#22017 Topps Pro Debut Ben's Biz #BBB-9


If you ever go to a San Jose Giants game, you've gotta grab a churro from this guy.  He actually gets around the stadium and interacts with fans.  I had the opportunity to meet him at two of the three games I attended this summer.

This is my second copy of this card... which is perfect... because I hope to one day bring this copy to a game and ask for his autograph.


#12015 Topps First Pitch #FP-21


I was secretly hoping for this card when I decided to buy the San Francisco Giants in this group break.  I'm not exactly a huge comic book guy, but I don't think you have to be one to be a fan of Stan Lee.  This guy is a legend.  And I absolutely love the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies... which wouldn't exist without him.

Thank you Death Stare Cards for hosting this group break!  I would gladly join another one of these breaks if you decide to host another one.

And any of you who didn't participate... it looks like there are a few teams available.  Click here if you're interested.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

15 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

The Longoria is my favorite followed by Linceum, and the Stan.

Elliptical Man said...

1. Lee
2. Churro Guy
3. Reddick
4. Longoria
5. Lincecum

I was out on a run when the earthquake happened and I didn't feel it at all. In Modesto. My parents did at home though.

Anonymous said...

Rickey! wins this round. Longoria card looks cool. No use for the rest.

The Lost Collector said...

Looks like a good deal!

The Snorting Bull said...

I have not done a group break in so long, but they can be a lot of fun depending on the breaker and product. I have to say that the Longoria and Lincecum cards are my favorites. I'd love to know the story behind the photo on the Lincecum card. Got to be pretty good.

Shlabotnik Report said...

Is it wrong that my favorite card is the "Ferris Bueller Night" card from the top of the one stack? :-D

gcrl said...

This was a fun break. I like the Stan Lee card. Topps made some first pitch cards for dodger celebs too, but no vin scully.

Nick said...

Those "Franchise Flashbacks" are some of the best inserts in recent memory, and the Lincecum is definitely one of the crowning moments.

GCA said...

Gotta love inserts and parallels for less than 50¢ each any time!

Nick Vossbrink said...

Nice haul. It's not often when I have a lot of the cards you post but somehow I've got a bunch of those Giants cards. And totally agreed on the 1990 Score card. Yes the Bo is in that set but Lights Out at Candlestick is my favorite as well.

Matt said...

I thought about doing this with my common base cards to make room in my house. Send them in a large flat rate by team, charge a small team amount+shipping and mail them out!

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

That is an excellent and fun pickup. Every time I see that Stan Lee card I'll remember picking it up in a quarter box. I don't have it anymore but still have the memory.

arpsmith said...

I am pretty sure that Lincecum dressed up like Bruce Bochy and took out the lineup card one day. Great cards.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Those are some fun cards!

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - the more i look at the longoria, the more i like it

elliptical man - glad our top 2 picks match up. did things fall off the shelves at home? or was it minor by the time it reached modesto?

anonymous - i think i like the longoria more than the rickey now :D

the lost collector - yeah. way more value than your typical blaster and only a few dollars more

the snorting bull - i read somewhere he was impersonating a coach or something

shlabotnik report - no wrong opinions here. it's a cool card too

gcrl - the dodgers get a ton of celebrities for the first pitch sets. i think aubrey plaza is my favorite.

nick - pretty sure i first saw that timmy on your blog

gca - hope you found a bunch at the national this year. i'm more of a dime box kind of guy... but i'm not complaining about this break. it was well worth it

nick vossbrink - i love the 90s b&w bo jackson. iconic card. but the candlestick card is awesome too

matt - you should. there are enough team collectors out there who would be willing to do it.

steve at 1975baseballcards.com - congratulations! you got a great deal finding the lee for a quarter.

arpsmith - thanks for the info. i had heard something similar about lincecum and his costume

sumumenkoman - thanks buddy