30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, March 1, 2021

Circled on My Calendar

March 1st will forever be an important date circled on my calendar.

1996 Topps Gallery Mickey Mantle Masterpiece #MP1

Fifty-two years ago, Mickey Mantle announced his retirement.  I'm sure that date is significant to New York Yankees fans, but not me.  I wasn't even born yet.

1993 Classic Four Sport Collection Jumbo (Blank Back) #NNO

Forty-eight years ago, Chris Webber was born.  I was a fan of Webber and the Fab Five back in the early 90's, but he's not the reason March 1st is important to me.

1991-92 Upper Deck #54

Twenty-eight years ago, Pavel Bure scored two goals against the Buffalo Sabres to become the first player in Vancouver Canucks franchise history to score 50 goals in a single season.

2015 Panini Immaculate Collection Collegiate Materials #6

March 1st, 1993 was also the day Mr. Conforto was born.  Both of these guys are cool... but again... not the reason I look forward to March 1st.

Mama Fuji (far right) @ Tahoe

The reason March 1st will forever be one of the most important dates on the calendar is because it's my mom's birthday.  She's no longer with us in person, but her spirit still floats around and watches over her family.  And until I join her... I'll continue to celebrate this special day.  Because I wouldn't exist or be the person I am today without her or my father being born.

Happy Birthday Mom!  Happy Monday and sayonara!

22 comments:

Elliptical Man said...

Watched a Family Guy ep last night that had Stewie going back in time and being born into a wealthy English family.

Hackenbush said...

Happy Birthday Mama Fuji! So that's you skiing? Nice Mantle card as well.

The Diamond King said...

Moms are awesome! Mine was born a week later.

bbcardz said...

Very nice and thoughtful post. Moms rule!

Jeremya1um said...

Happy birthday, Mama Fuji.
I’m glad you’ve written about her so we could know her a little bit.

Jeff Laws said...

That Michigan team is where my love for the school started.

My mom's birthday is also on the 1st, of February. Happy birthday to all moms.

shoeboxlegends said...

No way, me too!

John Sharp said...

Happy Birthday Mama Fugi! ⚾️๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ‰

Jongudmund said...

1st March is St David's Day. He is the patron saint of Wales. Dydd Gลตyl Dewi Sant i chi! A good day to be born!

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Cool tribute to your mom!

CinciCuse Bill said...

Sweet post! Happy birthday!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Today is my sister Kathy's birthday, and my moms (and eldest daughter) was just 3 days ago. Moms are SUPER special!

Sean said...

Its nice that so much cool stuff happened on your Mom's birthday (most of all your mom being born of course!)

gregory said...

Little Fuji's about to barrel down that slope! (Also, Mama Fuji's got some pretty cool shades there.)

SumoMenkoMan said...

Happy Birthday Mama Fuji!!

Peter K Steinberg said...

A very nice post, Fuji.

Matt said...

Happy birthday to your mom!

Kirk said...

Very nice tribute

cardboardhogs said...

excellent post and happy birthday to your mom! thank you for sharing!!

Jon said...

I think I've said it before, but baby Fuji on tiny skis is absolutely adorable!

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

Nice tribute and tie in with sports history also like the photo, very vintage.

Swing And A Pop-up said...

Great post about about your mom. I was alive when Mickey Mantle announced his retirement. I was living in Nebraska and all of a week old.