30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Another Side Project

Topps Archives is usually my favorite product of the year and it usually has to do with the Fan Favorites autographs.  This year, I have yet to add a single one to my collection.

The reason is simple.  I've been obsessed with tracking down the 2019 Topps Archives 50th Anniversary of the Montreal Expos Autographs.  So far I've been able to add eleven of the twenty-one signatures in the set:





This is one of those projects that I'll probably never finish... since Randy Johnson sells in the $250 to $300 range... and Pedro Martinez can often command triple digits as well.  But I'll continue to add the other guys as long as they remain affordable.

One of the things I like to do is buy them in "lots" to keep the cost down.  That's how I ended up acquiring these "green" foil parallel autographs:


These are bonus autographs that I've added to my Montreal Expos PC.  I have no desire to chase down all of the different colored parallels.  For the time being, the Steve Rogers and Ken Hill are temporary place holders until I can add the regular base autographs to my collection.

Although they're technically the same franchise, I've never really associated the Montreal Expos with the Washington Nationals.  However... I'm absolutely stoked that they're headed to the World Series.  Congratulations Washington Nationals fans!

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

16 comments:

Matt said...

That's awesome!!

gregory said...

Wow, I'd say you're doing pretty well with this project so far!

Jon said...

Looks like fun. And I don't think that I ever knew that Maury Wills had played in Montreal... weird!

The Lost Collector said...

Cool side project! Will look great all together.

GCA said...

Those are great!

As a Nats fan, I get annoyed when people label the Nationals as the Expos. It's the same franchise, but two distinct versions, so to speak. They moved in 2005, don't call them by the old name. You don't call the Twins the Senators, do you?

Zippy Zappy said...

We should call the Twins the Senators.

Matt said...

I couldn't agree more! If they had at least kept the team name when they moved (like the Athletics, Dodgers, and Giants did) I could at least buy into the continuity of it. But new name, new city, even new country - sorry, but I can't imagine baseball fans in Montreal sporting the curly W and getting excited about this postseason.

shoeboxlegends said...

Awesome grouping Fuji! Good luck getting the remaining ones, you may finish it off one day after all, who knows!

The Snorting Bull said...

This is quite the side project Fuji. Love seeing all of the Expos autographs together.

Base Card Hero said...

Gah! I had Bill Gullickson auto and sold it on eBay. If I knew you were after these, I would have sent it your way. Oh well-- Now I know what to do if I find another.

Jason Presley said...

Sweet bunch of cards! I so wish Topps would do a set or insert set of players with teams they only played for briefly. Then maybe I could get a Hensley Meulens Expos card like one of those, from his 16 games with Montreal in 1997.

Big Tone said...

Dang ,forgot Pedro was an Expo.

zman40 said...

Very cool side project. Good luck with the rest!

Commishbob said...

I wasn't aware of these before seeing this past last night. I like them a lot.

I just found and bought a Dennis Martinez on eBay for my El Presidente PC.

Collecting Cutch said...

Awesome collection so far. Here's hoping you finish it one day

Fuji said...

sport card collectors - thanks. i just picked up two more cards for the team set

gregory - getting down to just the big names... which will probably stop me dead in my tracks

jon - i don't think i knew that wills played with the expos either. looked it up on baseball reference and it looks like he played with the pirates too.

the lost collector - thanks. yeah... i should put them together on my website

gca, zippy, and matt - they're connected by history... but separated within my collection. but that's just how i roll. everyone gotta collect the way they wanna collect.

shoeboxlegends - lol. probably not. never gonna dish out triple digits for a randy johnson autograph

the snorting bull - yeah, it's a great set. i just wish they didn't put the silver foil anniversary stamp. it forced some of these guys to sign the cards awkwardly

base card hero - maybe i bought it off of you. lol.

jason presley - there are a few collectors who enjoy the short term stop guys. i'd love to add a muelens expos card to my autograph collection

big tone - although i mainly remember him for his boston years... the expos are right behind them.

zman40 - thanks! picked up two more this week

commishbob - nice. actually surprised that dennis martinez doesn't have more signed cards. he was truly a fan favorite

collecting cutch - thank you. it probably won't happen, but you never know.