30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Catch My Breath

It's that time of the year again.  End of the year projects.  Field trips.  Report cards.  Graduation parties.

You'd think that after twenty years, I'd get used to it.  But I haven't.  This year seems especially overwhelming and I'm not doing myself any favors.

Last week I stepped onto the scale, saw the California penal code for murder (187), and decided enough was enough.  I've gotta lose weight.  Although my doctor would love to see me lose forty to fifty pounds, I'll be pretty happy if I lose fifteen to twenty pounds by the start of 2019.

Although I don't really eat well balanced meals, I've started being conscientious of what I'm eating and drinking.


I've also started exercising on a daily basis.  My main goal is to walk 10k steps six days a week.  It's been pretty challenging, but I currently have a streak of 10 days in a row.

I typically get six to seven thousand steps on the average weekday at work, which leaves me with only a few thousand remaining by the time I get home.  One thousand steps for me translates into a brisk 9 to 10 minute walk, so I'll usually head outside and walk around my neighborhood for 20 to 40 minutes before it gets dark.

It feels good to get out there and exercise, however I've gotta admit that it's been pretty exhausting.  I'm sure it'll only get easier as I slowly shed the excess pounds.


If work and exercise weren't enough... I've also been sorting through this collection I recently purchased from one of my buddies.

At first... I thought I was getting a pretty good deal.  However the deeper I dive into this collection, the more I want my $80 back.

So far there's been an equal amount of football and basketball with a little bit of baseball sprinkled into the mix.  Unfortunately it's mostly late 80's to mid 90's over produced Junk Wax that has adhered together due to improper storage.  Ugh.

The worst part is I don't have the space to store this garbage.  As soon as I'm finished sorting through it, three of these 5,000ct. boxes will be headed to Goodwill.  The rest will either be sent out in care packages, added to my collection, or be taken to my classroom for students.

Well... that's an update on what's going on around here.


I apologize for being missing in action.  Hopefully I'll be able to catch my breathe, sit down, read some blogs, and write a few posts over the three day weekend.

Until then... I'll either be grading projects, breaking down my classroom, walking, or continuing to sort through this collection I shouldn't have purchased.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

10 comments:

Peter K Steinberg said...

Good luck both with losing weight & reaching your exercise goals & all this end of the year stuff. That's a bummer about the boxes that you bought... guess you'll have one less buddy to send a Christmas card to this year?

acrackedbat said...

good luck with your goal to a healthier Fuji! perhaps your buddy would be willing to give you at least $40 back? friends don't sell friends sticky, junk cards.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Good luck with the weight loss. Once you can start running, the pounds will start flying off. Remember it is mainly about simple math...burn more calories than you consume. The best way I have found to lose weight is to get other people in on it. Keeps accountability....

By the way, any sumo cards in any of those boxes? Ha!

Matt said...

Good luck in the weight loss. I need to lose as well but finding the time to exercise is the toughest. But my blood pressure needs it so gotta do it.

good job so far!

The Lost Collector said...

Good luck!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I've gotta drop a little too. Best wishes to all of us. Looking forward to seeing the goodies in those boxes.

night owl said...

Good luck! I started exercising six years ago and I haven't stopped. It starts to become Necessary.

Also, have you ever noticed how much work schools create, not just for the people who work there, but everyone else?

Man said...

I know how hard it is to loose some pounds but I have full confidence you will be able to do it-Schhol years if over or about to-so gives some time to do so-some buddy.

GCA said...

You could adopt the cardboard workout program - just carry one or two monster boxes up and down the stairs. Whole workout in five minutes or less! :)

Fuji said...

peter k steinberg - thanks. it's non-stop action for a few more weeks. as for the collection purchase... it's not a friendship-buster. it's just a bust ;)

julie owens - i wouldn't even think about asking for my money back. a deal was a deal. he's taken care of me before. and i'm sure if there are enough singles in here that i'd be able to recoup some of the damage. it's just not worth my time.

sumomenkoman - lol. running? well... that won't be anytime soon. i'm more of a walker and hiker. as for sumo cards... i haven't seen any yet. i do have something sumo related for you in the post i'll be publishing this afternoon.

sport card collectors - thanks! the hardest part for me was getting the ball rolling. i'm pretty motivated now. although... this weekend will be my first true test.

the last collector -thanks!

john miller - lol. i'm pretty much finished... and there weren't too many goodies. i will write up a post of the major highlights, but it's not very impressive.

night owl - yeah... i'm not a fan of getting old. as for everyone else... i'm assuming you're speaking from a parent's point of view ;)

b man - thanks buddy.

gca - that's actually a pretty good idea. either that or carrying them to the dumpster.