30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Older I Get...

The less I want to discuss religion or politics.  When I'm around people who are interested in that topic, I become the guy who sits back and listens.  Sometimes it's entertaining.  And sometimes it's not.  Either way... I'm not a big fan of arguing and debating... especially on these two subjects.

With that being said, I just wanted to share a cool card of Hillary Rodham Clinton:

1993 Freedom Press High School Heroes #3

Tonight she'll formally accept the Democratic Party's nomination for president.  Then in November, the citizens of our amazing country will decide whether or not they want her to become the first female president in our country's history.

This twenty-three year old piece of cardboard is part of a set that features high school photographs of athletes, politicians, and entertainers.  Here are a few of the people in the set.  Can you guess who they are?


#1


Hint: He was never afraid of kicking up dust and getting in people's faces.


#2


Hint: He paved the way for Jay and Jimmy.


#3


Hint:  He's living on a prayer.


#4


Hint:  He's arguably the greatest third basemen of all-time.


#5


Hint:  She'll turn 70 next month... and she's still gorgeous.

Scroll down to see the correct answers...









Keep going...









Just a little bit further...









#1:  Billy Martin
#2:  Johnny Carson
#3:  Jon Bon Jovi
#4:  Mike Schmidt
#5:  Connie Chung

So... how'd you do?

Honestly... I don't think I would have gotten any of them correct without the hints.  And even with the hints, I wouldn't have guessed Johnny or Connie.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

10 comments:

Tony Burbs said...

This is a fascinating set - thank you for sharing this find! Who was behind these oddballs?

Zippy Zappy said...

I didn't know anybody. Then again, I don't bother to really try and keep up with real people (who aren't baseball players) at all lol.

Fuji said...

Tony - Don't know much about these... but I'll give you what I've got:

#1: There are at least 2 different series.
#2: 1st Series = Blue Borders, 2nd Series = Red Borders
#3: There are 30 cards in each series.
#4: You can find checklists here...

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewAllSet.cfm/sid/70556

Zippy - It's okay. You probably know more prospects than I know entertainers.

Man said...

I am with ya, the older I get the less I am interested in politics/religion-kind of a middle of the road guy-what is that old saying if you stay in the middle of the road you will get run over. Regardless it is historical, especially for your students.

night owl said...

Might have gotten Billy Martin without a hint. Maybe.

Growing up, I always heard the phrase that the 3 things you don't discuss in polite company is politics, religion and money. I find it strange that people on Facebook who are supposed to be my friends and "polite" can't stop talking about politics (some religion, but mostly politics). GIVE IT A REST! It helps nothing.

Anonymous said...

I tried to pay some attention to both political conventions, but I am politicked-out right now. Can't believe we STILL have close to 4 months to go... *SIGH*

I got Hillary before I even opened the post, I got a couple of others with the hints, for some reason I didn't get Schmidt or Connie Chung.

One thing I will say - none of these are particularly bad high school photos... unlike mine. Mine is all early 1980's hair and early 1980's glasses, neither of which are particularly stylish by early 1980's or today's standards.

CaptKirk42 said...

Without the hints I might have gotten Johnny C and Connie C, with the hints I got 4 of 5. Didn't really guess at Mr. Schmidt cause for most players I don't always recall what position they played.

Fuji said...

Brady - I just feel that someone ends up becoming offended when people talk politics... which makes me feel uncomfortable. But you're right... there is a place for discussion within the classroom as long as the teacher doesn't impress their own personal views.

night owl - it's insane what people post on Facebook. i've seen people air out each other's dirty laundry... argue over #blacklivesmatter... and talk smack about each others favorite presidential candidate in the past few weeks alone. Never understood why they'd want to leave behind that kind of digital footprint. Then again... I'm sure I've said things on my blog that wasn't politically correct.

shlatbotnikreport - maybe one day i'll dig out my high school photos and share them. i'm a train wreck. I think I had a perm in one of them. Lol... yeah. A PERM.

CaptKirk42 - 4 out of 5 is solid.

Matt said...

Cool cards

GCA said...

Got 'em all but Schmidt. Looked at him and said, that doesn't look like Brooks Robinson!