30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Flea Market Finds #16: Miyazaki, Ruettiger, & Palmer

When: Sunday, January 8th
Where: Capitol Flea Market
What: Two New DVD's & a Jim Palmer SLU
How Much: $7

I've gained twelve pounds since the start of the school year, so it's time to start getting some exercise. My gym is less than a mile away... but the fact is... I hate working out.

So instead of running on a treadmill Sunday morning... I walked around the flea market. My expectations weren't very high... but to my surprise, I actually spent twice as much money as I did last week.


Purchase #1: Spirited Away DVD $2


I'm sure a lot of you are scratching your heads right now, asking yourself... "Why did he waste $2 on a silly cartoon?". Well... it's no ordinary cartoon. It's one of Hayao Miyazaki's most popular anime films and it actually won an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature in 2002. If you need something to watch, I encourage you to check it out.


Purchase #2: Rudy DVD $3


Rudy is one of my favorite sports films and last year, I brought my personal copy to work. I use it in my classroom every year to teach the students about goal setting and perseverance. For three dollars, I figured it doesn't hurt to have it in my collection at home, just in case my niece and nephew and need something to watch.


Purchase #3: 1998 Kenner "Cooperstown Collection" Jim Palmer SLU $2


Jim Palmer was enshrined in Cooperstown twenty-two years ago on January 9th, 1990. Palmer dominated the 70's. He had more wins and shutouts than any other pitcher... and had the lowest ERA among starting pitchers during the decade.

Regardless... these days Starting Line-Up figures are pretty much worthless... so of course, I popped it open:


It's a pretty nice figure that's fairly detailed... my favorite part are the orange stirrups. Best of all... I was able to add another card to my SLU card collection... which is slowly approaching the century mark:


Okay... time to wrap things up. Today is officially Triple Tuesday (I just made that up), so I have three (short & simple) questions for you:

Have you watched a cartoon movie in the past 12 months? If yes, which one?

Who's cooler? Rudy or Rocky

Are you a fan of baseball players wearing stirrups?

My responses:

Yes, I watched Princess Mononoke a few weeks ago. It's my favorite Miyazaki film and I watch it at least once a year.

Rocky (just barely though)

Of course... baseball isn't the same without them.

Happy Monday y'all... enjoy the rest of your week. Sayonara.

13 comments:

cynicalbuddha said...

Yep, but the most recent one was by accident, Meet the Robinson's.
Rocky's cooler.
And I never thought about it but it can really tie a uniform together.

Unknown said...

Dude, three kids equals lots of "voice acted" cinema. See, that's how we avoid calling them cartoons.

Rocky for the win.

Trey J. said...

1) I watch every Pixar film that comes out and have young cousins so I've watched a few cartoon movies lately. I also watch the Animated Green Lantern series as I'm a Green Lantern fan.

2) Rocky is the best!

3) I like the traditional look of them but it's not something I require of my favorite players ha

The Lost Collector said...

If you count the Pixar movies, then yes I have. I actually just watched Toy Story 3 while feeding my son.

Also, Rocky was way cooler.

Spiegel83 said...

Rocky is way cooler. Rudy is a great film but, the Rudy character is knd of a geek. His geekiness is what made Rudy special. Rocky is a street tough that beat Drago in Russia.

Martyn said...

A friend of mine has a 5 year old son, so yeah!

Rudy is good, but Rocky is cooler, well apart from Rocky V!

And I don't like stirrups, but I ain't gonna shoot Juan Pierre for wearing them, I think it's an uncool thing at the moment, most players don't wear them!

Fuji said...

i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who watched a cartoon movie (or should i say "voice acted" cinema) in the past 12 months.

looks like rocky knocked out rudy

and with stirrups, some people like 'em... some people don't.

Captain Canuck said...

Hell yeah. The last being Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost.

ummm.... Rocky?

For sure. Pants just below the knee, high socks and stirrups.
I hate it when I see ball players wearing wrinkly pajamas on the field.

TJ said...

I'm a huge animation fan. I've watched many animated movies in the past month.

Cat bus creeps me out, btw.

Fuji said...

captain - woohoo... another stirrup supporter!

tj - lol... that's not the first time i've heard someone say the catbus is freaky. love totoro though!

'30-Year Old Cardboard said...

1-Almost on a daily basis with two little ones in the house. 2-Rocky. 3-Yes, a great shout-out to that era.

Offy said...

I'm a huge animation fan and was watching almost anything animated long before my daughter was born. I'm starting to introduce her to Miyazaki's films. We watched Ponyo together the other day when she was home from school sick and liked it a lot.

I could watch all of the Pixar movies over and over again and I'm a Toy Story fanatic. I've got a pretty thorough collection of the large action figures that were released after the first movie.

I love Despicable Me. Great voice acting, very catchy Pharell soundtrack and a funny, touching story. The Kung Fu Panda movies were very good as well. KFP2 was the first Dreamworks movie that was on par with Pixar's films.

Fuji said...

30yoc - thanks you for supporting the stirrups movement!

offy - i'm glad your daughter is having the opportunity to see some of miyazaki's films... just don't show her princess mononoke at too early an age... showed it to my nephew when he was younger and it freaked him out... lol.

btw... despicable me is high up on my need to watch list.