Sorry for the lack of flea market related posts. It's not for a lack of trips or even purchases. The big change is the amount of time I dedicate to writing posts... which has significantly declined. Over the summer, I was focusing on itemizing and organizing my collection. And the start of a new school year is always hectic. The good news is things begin to stabilize in October.
The bad news is card related deals are drying up faster than ever. That's why I've started targeting other items while walking around the flea market. Two of these items are featured in today's post and were purchased this past Saturday at the De Anza Flea Market.
Here's what I purchased...
Purchase #1: Pair of Sets $1
I'm officially at the point in the hobby where I get excited to find cheap overproduced retail box sets from the 80's. I have purchased stuff from this vendor a few times over the years, but like other card vendors... his prices are becoming unreasonable.
1988 Topps Woolworth Baseball Highlights Sets (x2)
However he had a plethora of these 33ct. box sets... and was asking a buck each or $20 for a case of 24. He didn't hide the fact that he wanted to dump them, so I offered him a dollar for two and he accepted. One of them will go into my boxed set collection. The other will be opened up, possibly featured in a future post, and the singles will either go into player collections or added to care packages.
Purchase #2: Cassette Tapes $8
Outside of trading cards, LP's and cassette tapes are my favorite things to look for at flea markets. Unfortunately, the competition is stiff in this area as well. Luckily I found a guy with some tapes I was interested in and he had reasonable prices. $3 each or two for $5.
I found three...
U2 Live Under A Blood Red Sky
Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits 1974-78
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Coming Out Of Their Shells
Never knew this cassette tape existed, but as soon as I saw it... I wanted it. Based on a YouTube video, it looks like you could purchase a these at Pizza Hut for $3.99 back in 1990. I'll never actually listen to it, but if I ever build a TMNT display in my office... I'll add this to it.
Purchase #3: Charlie Hustle Autograph $5
Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. There's no guarantee that this signature is real. And even if it is... his autographs are far from rare. I don't care. I wasn't going to pass this up for five bucks.
1984 Gateway First Day Cover
This first day cover silk cachet commemorates Pete's 4,000th hit on April 13th, 1984.
The vendor who had this had an entire table filled with old magazines, programs, and photos. While flipping through the stacks, I came across a sleeve containing a few different commemorative covers. Only two were signed. The other featured Len Barker's signature. Rose was worth the risk, but not Barker.
Purchase #4: Dollar Cards $2
After digging through the programs and purchasing the Rose, I started digging through the guy's dollar box. This was one of those boxes where cards are literally tossed into it... half of which were completely unprotected.
Sitting on top was a small stack of 70's Hostess cards... which caught my eye. Unfortunately there were poorly cut and the biggest name I saw was Davey Lopes. But I did find this 90's parallel:
1993-94 Stadium Club First Day Issue #186
Karl Malone wasn't a good father and if you ask Magic or Kobe... he wasn't a good teammate. But he was one heck of a power forward. Not gonna lie. When I saw this card in a heavily worn penny sleeve, my eyes lit up. Anyone else miss the days when parallels weren't pulled from every pack?
I'm glad I continued to dig, because I found an even cooler card:
1976 Kellogg's #19
Unfortunately this card was floating around in the box without a penny sleeve. However somehow the cardboard gods spared it from any cracks. The back is pretty stained though:
I'm not going to complain. I'll buy uncracked 70's Kellogg's cards of any familiar name for a dollar all day long.
Purchase #5: Box of Old Postcards $20
Another side collection I have been building are vintage postcards... especially one depicting places I've been to. I haven't counted, but I'd estimate you're staring at two to three hundred postcards. I flipped through a couple of stacks, compared them to some purchases I have made online, and figured it was well worth the price.
If you'd like to see some in a future post, comment down below. If not I'll eventually sort and file these away.
Purchase #6: A Wood Box $5
Last month, I saw this gentleman with a bunch of affordable handmade boxes. I stopped at his booth to see if he'd be willing to make some custom boxes for my card collection. Unfortunately he was busy with several customers, so I never got a chance to ask.
I was happy to see him again this month. but he doesn't do custom builds. I pulled out a top loader and discovered that it fit perfectly sideways in this particular design. I purchased one. Haven't figured out how I'll use it. But if I do within the next month... maybe I'll grab a few more.
Well that wraps up my most recent trip to the flea market. Nothing too crazy, but I found some baseball cards to purchase. That always counts as a win.
Positive or negative... I'd love to hear your thoughts on my finds.
Until next time...
Happy Tuesday and sayonara!











I never considered that cassettes would become collectible, but seeing that U2 cassette makes we want to find a walkman.
ReplyDeleteI'd say that was a nice grouping. The Steve Miller Greatest hits is one of my faves. Nice grab on the Rose autograph.
ReplyDeleteThat rookie Eck doesn't look bad at all.
ReplyDeleteU2 was my favorite band in the '80s and I bought a bunch of their LPs, including Under a Blood Red Sky. I still have them all. Also have that Steve Miller cassette, which I think was my wife's.
It's wild that cassettes are starting to become hot property. Albums I can see, even CDs, but all I think of with old cassettes is how worn-out and dingy they got.
All the good stuff at flea markets and thrift stores is getting too expensive to be worth it. Which is too bad. Postcards under $1 are fairly rare, getting all those dime cards is a really good deal. I'll vote for seeing more!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting items you got. After my Dad passed a little over a year and a half ago I found a box of postcards. I probably got about 200 cards. They are postmarked from the 1950's back to 1900. They are very interesting. I have sold a few on eBay. Enjoy it all!
ReplyDelete